Safe drinking water?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Ours is the Seagull IV X-1F, average capacity is 1000 gallons. Bought it from the London Boat show a couple of years ago so do not know which would be best source now. Initial outlay was around £150 to £200, sorry cannot be more precise. That inlcudes the separate fawcet and all fittings. Replacement filter from ebay, under £60. Hope this helps

The cheapest ones I have seen so far are 340 pounds!

affinite

Visit site
The cheapest ones I have seen so far are 340 pounds!

I dont remember how much I paid but it was nothing like that. I seem to remember paying around £100 inc tap etc but that was 3 years ago. I cant get onto the GE Europ site at present. Is it just me ?

Just had a look at the US site and the Nature Pure unit I bought isnt listed. The only units listed seem to be rather more sophisticated than mine. Explains the price issue perhaps. Also clicking on the "International Distributors" gives a broken link - the plot thickens. ANyone know if the European distributor IS still operating

Last edited:

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I dont remember how much I paid but it was nothing like that. I seem to remember paying around £100 inc tap etc but that was 3 years ago. I cant get onto the GE Europ site at present. Is it just me ?

Just had a look at the US site and the Nature Pure unit I bought isnt listed. The only units listed seem to be rather more sophisticated than mine. Explains the price issue perhaps. Also clicking on the "International Distributors" gives a broken link - the plot thickens. ANyone know if the European distributor IS still operating

This is GE's online website for the UK

http://www.purewateronline.co.uk

Roaring Girl

On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta w
www.sailblogs.com
We've got a nature pure one on the tap, and also have another filter (can't remember which) which we put between the water tap and the tank - we've rigged it up with hose connectors at in and out so we get out own hose, attach it to the quayside tap, run that to the filter, and then a short length into the tank itself. Thus what we drink is twice filtered, and this has worked very well for us for several years in the western med.

In Malta the water is often rust stained because of the storage and pipework, with the result there are many excellent filters in the shops. As our hoseline filter will be due for replacement next year we will probably buy one in Malta.

We only buy bottled in order to have the bottles (useful for oil changes) or to have little bottles for walking/sightseeing.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Do you always drink bottled water or would you drink it directly from your water tanks?
Which countries would you drink tap water in or fill up used bottles and which countries would you not? Have you had problems after drinking local water?
Do you try to sterilize your water in any way and what products would you add?

We've never had problems drinking from tanks for many years (filled in UK, France, Spain, Portugal etc) but do have an AquaSource filter to all taps. Costs around £22 to replace each year. Without a filter, the water can taste like TCP if the hose has been in the sun for a while, as others have said, it's hard to find good quality potable hoses.

Having said that, I would be more wary if the boat only had intermittent use but I guess we use around a tankfull each week so it never stagnates.

KORB

Visit site
Have been drinking direct from tanks for over eleven years without any problems water tastes fine. Tanks are fabricated from stainless steel, do have filters aboard but never used them.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Another vote for the general ecology Seagull Filter, without doubt the best £200 I have ever spent on the boat. We have quite high pressure pumps so the filter lasts longer (you can tell it is finished when the flow stops). We are live aboard so use it all the time and I get a couple of years out of a filter which must by far more than 1000 gallons.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Do you always drink bottled water or would you drink it directly from your water tanks?
Which countries would you drink tap water in or fill up used bottles and which countries would you not? Have you had problems after drinking local water?
Do you try to sterilize your water in any way and what products would you add?

a good few years ago was in majorca buying bottled water a few days later happened to be going past back door of the same shop saw they were filling bottles from tap ! and had a sealing thing/tool to seal them !

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
a good few years ago was in majorca buying bottled water a few days later happened to be going past back door of the same shop saw they were filling bottles from tap ! and had a sealing thing/tool to seal them !

I always wondered what hapened to my old bottles!!
Well I have ordered a pump today and with next day delivery.
Thank you all for your advice and stories.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Well i recieved a Seagul iv less than 12 hours after ordering it and will be fitting it today.It is a pity to hide it away as they look pretty good.
Got the one that includs the filter, pipes, tap etc.
Before I cut into my plastic water pipes does the "T" adapter fit in securely or do I need to buy some kind of adaptor. Also did you fit a turn off valve before the filter so you can stop the water and change the filter easily?
I am looking forward to getting rid of all those plastic bottles apart from a couple I will keep in the fridge with water from the Seagul in it.
Thank you for suggesting it to me. In the long run I hope to save a lot of money and have decent drinking water on tap.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Well i recieved a Seagul iv less than 12 hours after ordering it and will be fitting it today.It is a pity to hide it away as they look pretty good.
Got the one that includs the filter, pipes, tap etc.
Before I cut into my plastic water pipes does the "T" adapter fit in securely or do I need to buy some kind of adaptor. Also did you fit a turn off valve before the filter so you can stop the water and change the filter easily?
I am looking forward to getting rid of all those plastic bottles apart from a couple I will keep in the fridge with water from the Seagul in it.
Thank you for suggesting it to me. In the long run I hope to save a lot of money and have decent drinking water on tap.

H, you wont be sorry.
Re the T adaptor I was a bit heavy handed with mine (too impatient) and damaged it. Got one from a plumbers merchant which was more substantial and not expensive.
Did not fit a turn off valve, just switched the water pump off and left the tap on when changing the filter. No problems with water coming out when I changed the filter.

bateau57

Visit site
Quality Water?

My water tank which is GRP and added to the hull during build has osmotic blisters. Many I had spoken to on forums with the same boat had just used the tank as is without fixing the blisters. I looked at fixing the tank by basicly stripping and barrier coating the tank but it was a big job based on where it is in the top of the keel. I looked at a PVC lining but my research tended to say these only last a short time before you end with leaking fitting because of the movement. I decide to go all out on filtration down to 0.5 micron with a carbon filter which in theory takes out everything including nasty chemicals. My plan is;

Clean the tank thoroughly and disinfect.

Filter the water on the way into the tank using pressure faucet fitting on stern to take a pressurised hose to fill the tank through the 5 micro filter thus taking out rust sediment etc.

Disinfect (chlorinate) the tank itself with each load of water.

Water into the boat then goes through 2 filters. The first to remove any scum and general items and filters tank water to 1 micro and the second filter goes down further to 0.5 micron which is to ensure it takes out chlorine and of course xylene (the really bad stuff which is in osmotic blisters).

Just wanted to get comment on this as a solution. I have bought all the stuff and was going to plumb this all up in the next couple of weeks. The boat is on the hard at present.

Regards
G

blueglass

Visit site
My water tank which is GRP and added to the hull during build has osmotic blisters. Many I had spoken to on forums with the same boat had just used the tank as is without fixing the blisters. I looked at fixing the tank by basicly stripping and barrier coating the tank but it was a big job based on where it is in the top of the keel. I looked at a PVC lining but my research tended to say these only last a short time before you end with leaking fitting because of the movement. I decide to go all out on filtration down to 0.5 micron with a carbon filter which in theory takes out everything including nasty chemicals. My plan is;

Clean the tank thoroughly and disinfect.

Filter the water on the way into the tank using pressure faucet fitting on stern to take a pressurised hose to fill the tank through the 5 micro filter thus taking out rust sediment etc.

Disinfect (chlorinate) the tank itself with each load of water.

Water into the boat then goes through 2 filters. The first to remove any scum and general items and filters tank water to 1 micro and the second filter goes down further to 0.5 micron which is to ensure it takes out chlorine and of course xylene (the really bad stuff which is in osmotic blisters).

Just wanted to get comment on this as a solution. I have bought all the stuff and was going to plumb this all up in the next couple of weeks. The boat is on the hard at present.

Regards
G

a seagull would do all this for you without the need for chlorine. Not a bad idea to clean out the tank first, but after that you need only to change the general ecology filter once a year

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not time to read all posts but sure i read that hose pipes can put toxins in the water?

The big thrust on banning marina hoses was due to bacteria rather than toxins, although I guess the latter is always a possibility. Hoses that are allowed to fall into the sea, or clean various items on the pontoon, or played with by kids, may possibly be contaminated internally. If they were then left in warm sunlight for while the bacteria levels could multiply enormously.

General Ecology filters are claimed to remove these.

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Am drinking it this very instant..

The only place that I could not tolerate local water was Malta.

In Malta it does depend on time of year (and rainfall recency I'm told). It was a bit tasty last week, one day.

I usually drink from the tank. If I doubt the water, I add a thimblefull of bleach...and if I can't remember the ratio, I add some whisky. Have done neither in Malta.

Cape Verde, Brazil - it was ok. A bit tasty in Canaries. Potable drinking water is available on tap in most societies. My GF insists on bottled water (for straight drinking), but I usually drink tea or beer, or bottled iced tea.

Cheers!

Poignard

Visit site
Our grp water tank is in the keel. We have had the boat 14 years and always drunk water straight from the tank with no ill effects. We don't purify it in any way and I have never had the top off the tank to inspect it.

Some people have more sensitive stomachs than others - we are just lucky that we don't have a problem.