Sadler (Frigate) 27'

G

Sadler (Frigate) 27\'

I am very new to sailing and thinking of the Sadler (Frigate) 27' as a first boat but can't find much info about them. Could anyone out there advise ? i.e. suitablity for single handed sailing, typical cost (can one be got for less than £15K?), and stability and build quality, and possible pitfalls.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: Sadler (Frigate) 27\'

Hi,
This is a superb boat, built by Island Plastics, and all are home completed so watch out for build quality, they were only sold as mouldings in the 80's, Although designed by David Sadler and as such are a very seaworthy design, much similar to the Sadler 25, they are nothing to do with Sadler Yachts. They were mainly built with fin keels, with only 1 or possibly 2 built with twin keels. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more than 10-12K for one in top condition. Watch out for the join where the skeg and rudder attatch to the hull as this is a weak point with them. They sail very well and have a good 50% ballast ratio. You may also want to think about a Sadler 25, bit smaller, but more readily available and 7-10 K would get you a good one.
Have you looked at a Frigate? If so what was her name?

Good Luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

johna

Visit site

Do not know of this particular Sadler but in general Sadler yachts have a good name. However, if you are new to sailing and want a good reliable 27 foot boat look at the Sabre 27. The Owners Association web site is www.sabre27.org.uk

There are a number of boats listed for sale. You will find that the older boats are well under £15k.

Johna

<hr width=100% size=1>

GilesC

Visit site

I've never sailed on myself, but my cousin bought one a couple of years ago, and sailed it for 2 years very happily with family/friends off the South Coast. I never sailed it, but they felt it was good compromise of interior space vs performance. I think they got theirs for about £12k, but you don't often see them up for sale.

Happy hunting!

<hr width=100% size=1>

EagerV

www.flickr.com

Hi

Have owned Sadler 25(Excellent yacht) and other yachts and would seriously recommend you look at the Albin Vega 27. Check out excellent site www.albinvega.co.uk and talk to Steve Birch who has been very helpfull to me in finding one. The main advantages of the Vega are as follows:

Very seaworthy, many circumnavigations.
Long waterline so up to 7 kts achievable under power or sail.
Comfortable cabin with 4 long berths and plenty of lounging room.
Long keel so directionally stable, handles wind vane easily.
Parts easy to obtain through excellent association.
Over 3400 built(More than the Centaur), price 8-12K generally.

I have no experience of the Frigate 27, I am sure it is an excellent yacht.

Good luck

Nigel Eager Vega V3314

<hr width=100% size=1>

mjpmjp

Visit site
Re: Frigate 27

The Frigate 27 was originally marketed as the Quest 27 also the final versions were known as the Phoenix 27. We sailed one "Annie of Orford" for 4 seasons. Overall well built, agree with points about small interior and that if home finished quality of fit-out might be variable. The mouldings seemed strong, except the skeg was quite narrow so prone to more movement than the Sadler 25 (David Sadler designed the 2 boats at the same time). Water might get trapped on the side deck depending on type of toe-rail fitted. We sailed ours across the Channel and North Sea without problems in mixed weathers. With fine bows she tends to slice through waves more than bounce over them, so giving a quieter, but wetter ride

From my knowledge I would guess no more than 50 were built. I think this was due more to limited marketing and numerous changes in builders (inc Robert Ives) rather than any inherent design problem

Overall an excellent boat, with a tumblehome shape to die for. Very competent, the main restriction being the layout (engine also intruded) and headroom. Price will depend on quality of fit out and overall specification.

Good luck

Malcolm

<hr width=100% size=1>

mjpmjp

Visit site
Re: Frigate27\'

Tumblehome. Is the "bulge" where maximum beam is not at toe-rail height. Also seen on many 1970's IOR baots such as the Hustler. The Sadler 25 had a little, but the Frigate really curves!

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatropes

Visit site
Sadler Frigate 27, Phoenix 27

The Frigate 27 ........ final versions were known as the Phoenix 27..........
Malcolm <hr width=100% size=1>
Adding crumbs of information to an ancient thread in case anyone uses it for research. Only two of the (Sadler) Phoenix 27 were built. Identical hull from the same Frigate mould but with a very different deck/cabin/cockpit moulding - higher topsides, bigger coachroof/headroom, wheel steering. I have one in North Wales, the other I believe is still in Christchurch where they were built.
Barry Edwards

Last edited:

Bav32

Visit site
Had one of these that I built from scratch and sailed extensively for10 years.
Great boats to sail and they love to beat to windward.Really well balanced.
I recall several ocasions when I would leave the helm and go forward to make adjustments etc.
Basically it's a Sadler 25, two feet longer a foot wider and a foot more headroom.
Very similar performance to the S25, especially the Mk 3s.

Whilst building I did have a thought about altering the interior layout, but at 27 feet (26'3" as I recall) there's not really an alternative.

If you're after a well behaved boat with a pretty good performace this has to be worth serious consideration (unless you are 6 feet tall).

Seajet

Visit site
Basically it's a Sadler 25, two feet longer

I knew someone who completed a 'Frigate 27' from mouldings.

Pretty sure they're actually 26' ! - such adventurous labelling was quite common in the 1970'-80's.

A good sailing boat, but beware; the one I knew had osmosis internally from rain - bilgewater and at the patches on the hull where the cradle had wet carpet pads, this was before she was ever launched !

Also, and this depends A LOT on where you plan to sail, a 'small' fin keel boat incurs much more expensive deep water moorings or marina berths than a twin or lift keel one which can go on much cheaper ( and often more sheltered ) drying mud moorings.

This will lower the price very substantially on say, the South Coast, and if you're there DO check out these prices, huge; deep mooring - guestimate £15-2000, marina £3000 + Every year !

Not a problem in Wales or Scotland, mainly...

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
deep mooring - guestimate £15-2000, marina £3000 + Every year !

Not a problem in Wales or Scotland, mainly...

Yes, if there's a middle man - and usually there is. I have been paying over £1500/annum for a fore and aft mooring in the Hamble, still cheaper than around £4000 - 4,500 in a marina. Just been offered a Harbour Authority pile mooring (with privately owned pontoon) for £650/annum. Did I accept? You bet I did!

My boat is 28ft with an encapsulated lead fin, so can't be allowed to grind into the mud every tide.

I looked at a Frigate when looking for a boat and was impressed by her underwater profile and fairly low freeboard (less windage). My only criticism would be that there is not standing headroom for six-footers. Not a problem for me at 5'7", but my crew are much bigger and were not keen. I would expect to find one for nearer £10k than £15k, unless its in really superb condition with mostly new gear and ready to sail.

Rob.