RYA YM and RN collaboration

coachone

Visit site
Did you see the post on the RYA website announcing that the RN are going to use RYA qualifications as part of their officer training programme at Dartmouth?

Quite a coup for the RYA.

The RNLI already use the RYA courses for part of the training for Coxns and crew.

Can't be all bad can it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jleaworthy

Visit site
To put this in context, the Royal Navy some forty years ago developed a training scheme for recreational sailing which provided four levels of qualifications - Day Skipper Ticket, Coastal Ticket, Offshore Ticket and Ocean Ticket. Sounds familiar? It was adopted with RN assistance by the RYA and developed over the years with both schemes running within the service in parallel. For example my first yachting qualification was an RN Day Skipper Ticket; my last in the service was the RYA/DTI Yachtmaster Offshore.

However participation in recreational sailing was always optional within the Royal Navy. As far as I can see all that has now happened is that sailing at Dartmouth is to become a compulsory part of the training and will gain the appropriate RYA qualifications. Seems an excellent idea to me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

coachone

Visit site
the original cruising scheme had a lot to do with Bill Anderson being an ex-RN navigation training officer based at HMS Driad? I think.
It is good to have a unified small boat training scheme across the leisure, RN and RNLI sectors.
Perhaps if the merchant service used it more widely in their training there would be better understanding of small boat issues, and vice versa.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Merchant service!!!!!!!!

Sorry to inject a note of depressing pessimism, but I'm in the business and have been involved in the training of officers. Frankly, we don't have taxpayers money to spend, the officers going to sea now seldom come from Europe let alone Britain, and we have more than enough to do with the compulsory training they need, which is very extensive, without bothering their heads with yottie problems. The range of things that a junior officer is meant to know, and to have a piece of paper to say that he knows them, is quite long enough already, and there is no money available to add "fun" subjects, like messing about in boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Officers

Oh! You've seen them practising MOB in Dartmouth already, with the "O" flag up aswell!!

<hr width=100% size=1>