RYA view of virus.

scotty123

Visit site
Dear Principals and Instructors

We understand that many of you continue to be impacted by the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and the thoughts of the RYA Training and Publications teams are with our entire network of Recognised Training Centres (RTCs), instructors and your students during these challenging times.

The RYA is actively monitoring the situation and will continue to be led by Public Health England advice. We recommend that you follow guidance from your local government and public health authorities.

We have put together the following guidance to assist RYA RTCs and instructors. These pages will be updated as the situation progresses, so please do come back regularly for the latest information and advice:
Please visit www.rya.org.uk for further information.

We wish you all the best in the days and weeks ahead.

Richard Falk
Director of RYA Training and Qualifications

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Errors are good, the instructor then is able to explain why, much better way of learning, otherwise getting it correct could be pure chance.
Dear Principals and Instructors

We understand that many of you continue to be impacted by the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and the thoughts of the RYA Training and Publications teams are with our entire network of Recognised Training Centres (RTCs), instructors and your students during these challenging times.

The RYA is actively monitoring the situation and will continue to be led by Public Health England advice. We recommend that you follow guidance from your local government and public health authorities.

We have put together the following guidance to assist RYA RTCs and instructors. These pages will be updated as the situation progresses, so please do come back regularly for the latest information and advice:
Please visit www.rya.org.uk for further information.

We wish you all the best in the days and weeks ahead.

Richard Falk
Director of RYA Training and Qualifications
Why do the RYA need to tell us about corona Virus this is hilarious. RYA = boats and teaching and boaty info and potential loss of business due to said Virus , but they are telling us about the virus and regurgitating what unless your living on the moon everything said in the Press and on TV and Radio , do we need this too

oldharry

Visit site
Seems to me that the RYA are simply doing what any responsible administrative body would do and keeping the Registered Training Centres aware that they have back up.
Quite right. I am doing the same for my local Church as its safety officer. I am quite certain that 98% of what I am putting out is already well known to 95% of the people. But we need to be seen to be taking it seriously, and for the remaining 5% to be in no doubt what we are recommending.

What I am seeing is a great deal of fake news circulating, particulalry on line, so before adding anything i check it aginst official sources. T least one (well educated) couple are causing panic by saying older people must not risk going out to the shops, or using public transport. That may come later, but at present it contradicts Official Advice. For what its worth!

I saw someone quite seriously on Face Ache the other day seriously suggesting that if you eat Garlic you wont catch the Virus! I think they had the same idea during the Black Death, with the same result! Of course the reek of Garlic might just keep any carrier out of range, but it still wont stop contact infection from door handles etc.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Seems to me that the RYA are simply doing what any responsible administrative body would do and keeping the Registered Training Centres aware that they have back up.
Strange for the RYA to go into detail about a virus and how it affects us and why we need to wash our hands yet my local authority nor my child's school has resorted to such pandamonia , perspective is what is needed not organisations that have nothing to do with a virus to talk about a virus its the same in Fight Club

capnsensible

Visit site
Its typical corporate CYA.
Why would you expect the RYA to be any different.
Of course. Once its all over and the fall out from cancelled courses/ non attendance of courses starts to be argued over, then the correct response now will be important.

They are like any other trade association, looking out for their members. Personally, I dont have a problem with that, being an Instructor and formerly a Principal. So well done, chaps at HQ1. :)

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Of course. Once its all over and the fall out from cancelled courses/ non attendance of courses starts to be argued over, then the correct response now will be important.

They are like any other trade association, looking out for their members. Personally, I dont have a problem with that, being an Instructor and formerly a Principal. So well done, chaps at HQ1. :)
Sook :p

scotty123

Visit site
Why do the RYA need to tell us about corona Virus this is hilarious. RYA = boats and teaching and boaty info and potential loss of business due to said Virus , but they are telling us about the virus and regurgitating what unless your living on the moon everything said in the Press and on TV and Radio , do we need this too
Its for instructors & principals, operating umder a RYA flag, not students, where's the issue?

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
It's jobsworths. Feeling the need to do something useful, but not a helpful idea to share among the lot of them. We know who they are....

Corporate wazzocks!

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Quite right. I am doing the same for my local Church as its safety officer. I am quite certain that 98% of what I am putting out is already well known to 95% of the people. But we need to be seen to be taking it seriously, and for the remaining 5% to be in no doubt what we are recommending.

What I am seeing is a great deal of fake news circulating, particulalry on line, so before adding anything i check it aginst official sources. T least one (well educated) couple are causing panic by saying older people must not risk going out to the shops, or using public transport. That may come later, but at present it contradicts Official Advice. For what its worth!

I saw someone quite seriously on Face Ache the other day seriously suggesting that if you eat Garlic you wont catch the Virus! I think they had the same idea during the Black Death, with the same result! Of course the reek of Garlic might just keep any carrier out of range, but it still wont stop contact infection from door handles etc.

Its a sign of the times when a church has a safety officer. I guess it is all for the best but if a Christian is to die as a result of the virus? Well. Pearly gates here they come. No need to worry about 'down there' and the big heating bill.

On a similar note our 'Christian groups' that meet here can't meet at the moment so FaceTime and Skype are seen to be the way forward to stay in touch. Far more social than excessive garlic, even if it doesn't taste as good.

oldharry

Visit site
Its a sign of the times when a church has a safety officer. I guess it is all for the best but if a Christian is to die as a result of the virus? Well. Pearly gates here they come. No need to worry about 'down there' and the big heating bill.
Any church big or small has a range of safety legislation it has to comply with: fire safety, child safeguarding, risk assessments particularly for kids and youth events, insurance requirements, public liability and so on. In a busy church with 500+ adults and up to150 kids and teenagers involved its important to keep on top of it all! And the virus? Why should we not do our part to help delay the outbreak?. You would pretty soon be shouting if we did not, and justifiably so.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Any church big or small has a range of safety legislation it has to comply with: fire safety, child safeguarding, risk assessments particularly for kids and youth events, insurance requirements, public liability and so on. In a busy church with 500+ adults and up to150 kids and teenagers involved its important to keep on top of it all! And the virus? Why should we not do our part to help delay the outbreak?. You would pretty soon be shouting if we did not, and justifiably so.
It's not just child safeguarding - we also have to have policies for vulnerable adults, which can be a lot harder!