RYA Subscription Cancelled

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
How often do you need to repeat the same info - “or one of its affiliated organisations”. So as has been pointed no need to be a personal member of the RYA to race in the UK, if a member of an affiliated sailing club.
And as club volunteers put a lot of time and effort into running events, seems fair enough.
You know that, I know that, but with rodgerthebodger you are flogging the proverbial dead 'un.......................................................... :cool:

flaming

Visit site
1) the RRS are published by World sailing , which I have an old copy of.

2) there is no copyright message in the printed copy I have

3) World sailing regulation 19 require ALL crew to be a paying member or the Nation Member Association (RYA in the UK)

4) paying you fee to enter the event should cover any costs incurred in arranging the event including the requirement to cover any cost of the RRS

5) why should I stop posting do we not have freedom of opinion on this forum all I am doing is expressing my opinion
Number 3 is 100% definitely incorrect.

You're misreading WS regulation 19. The part you are looking at, 19.4(a) needs to be read with 19.6 It is talking about entry to specific events, not your local club racing.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Number 3 is 100% definitely incorrect.

You're misreading WS regulation 19. The part you are looking at, 19.4(a) needs to be read with 19.6 It is talking about entry to specific events, not your local club racing.

So what are the specific events

why does regulation 19 not say what those specific events are and why must anyone who wished to enter those specific events must be a member of a world sailing Member Nation Association.

If I am interpreting the document incorrectly World sailing should clarify the regulating 19 by specifying what specific events require any enterent to be a member of the MNA and why.

flaming

Visit site
So what are the specific events

why does regulation 19 not say what those specific events are and why must anyone who wished to enter those specific events must be a member of a world sailing Member Nation Association.

If I am interpreting the document incorrectly World sailing should clarify the regulating 19 by specifying what specific events require any enterent to be a member of the MNA and why.
It's literally listed in regulation 19.6

https://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/2021RegulationsClean-[26818].pdf

Events Requiring World Sailing Eligibility
19.6 World Sailing Eligibility is required for the following events:
(a) the Olympic Sailing Competition
;(b) the sailing events of Regional Games recognized by the International Olympic Committee;
(c) events including “World Sailing” in their titles;
(d) world and continental championships of World Sailing classes and world championships of the IMS, Major Events and other events approved by World Sailing as a World Championship;
(e) any event at which the Organizing Authority, Member National Authority or World Sailing has appointed an International Jury, International Umpires,International Race Officers, International Measurers or World Sailing Technical Delegates to act in that capacity;REGULATIONS
(f) any event approved by a Member National Authority of World Sailing as an Olympic qualifying event;
(h) any event designated by a Member National Authority within its jurisdiction as requiring competitors to satisfy the requirements of Regulation 19.7; and
(i) any event designated by World Sailing.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Events Requiring World Sailing Eligibility
19.6 World Sailing Eligibility is required for the following events:
(a) the Olympic Sailing Competition
;(b) the sailing events of Regional Games recognized by the International Olympic Committee;
(c) events including “World Sailing” in their titles;
(d) world and continental championships of World Sailing classes and world championships of the IMS, Major Events and other events approved by World Sailing as a World Championship;
(e) any event at which the Organizing Authority, Member National Authority or World Sailing has appointed an International Jury, International Umpires,International Race Officers, International Measurers or World Sailing Technical Delegates to act in that capacity;REGULATIONS
(f) any event approved by a Member National Authority of World Sailing as an Olympic qualifying event;
(h) any event designated by a Member National Authority within its jurisdiction as requiring competitors to satisfy the requirements of Regulation 19.7; and
(i) any event designated by World Sailing.

Do ll of those restrictions comply with the consumer protection laws that apply in the countries that World Sailing operate in

Do all these World Sailing comply with thee IOC (International Olympic Committee Code of Ethics

Article 1 of the IOC code of ethics

1.1 Respect for the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play;

1.2 Respect of the principle of the universality and political neutrality of the Olympic Movement

1.3 Maintaining harmonious relations with state authorities, while respecting the principle of autonomy as set out in the Olympic Charter; ( If you don't abide with thw laws imposed by the authority of the country's how can you maintain harmonious relations with state authorities

1.4 Respect for international conventions on protecting human rights insofar as they apply to the Olympic Games’ activities and which ensure in particular:– respect for human dignity;rejection of discrimination of any kind on whatever grounds, be it race,colour, sex, sexual orientation, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status;– rejection of all forms of harassment and abuse, be it physical, professional or sexual, and any physical or mental injuries;

We have a constitutional requirement of Equality of all people within the country.

I think there are questions with regard to equality and the fundamental human rights of all people in these World Saiing regulations

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
Sometimes I sits 'an finks.

Sometimes I just sits............................................
As an aside.
You seem to have been hitting the dots quite a bit lately.

Are you just waiting to someone to point out that there are only three dots in an ellipsis?
Your spelling & punctuation is quite good, apart from that one thing...

rotrax

Visit site
It all about thinking in an unbiased way and with an open mind and not follow the rest of the people involved in the management

You are the one complicating a simple situation.

A member of a sailing club - in NZ - that I am a member of competed in the last Olympic games.

He is, like most competitors at this level, an affiliated member, through his local sailing club, of his National Organisation,New Zealand Sailing, which is also affiliated to other organisations that organise International Sailing events. As you can imagine, his local club is very proud of his achievements and use them to attract members. This would not be possible if he were a direct member of NZ Sailing. They would claim the glory!

If you want to be a rebel and break with the way it is done-and has been done for years-be my guest.

There are perfectly good and mostly very sound reasons for the way International Sailing-and other Sports-are administered.

I am sorry you cannot-or will not-see them.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
As an aside.
You seem to have been hitting the dots quite a bit lately.

Are you just waiting to someone to point out that there are only three dots in an ellipsis?
Your spelling & punctuation is quite good, apart from that one thing...
Its my version of a 'pregnant pause'...................................

I like to be a bit flamboyant now and then.
;)

flaming

Visit site
I think there are questions with regard to equality and the fundamental human rights of all people in these World Saiing regulations

What are you on about? "fundamental human rights".

it's a sailing race we're talking about. And the VERY FIRST part of rule 19 EXPLICITLY states that right to participate is presumed.

19.1 An individual shall have Competition Eligibility unless that eligibility has been suspended or revoked. 'Competition Eligibility' means the individual has a general entitlement to take part in competition in the sport of sailing.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
What are you on about? "fundamental human rights".

As specified in the European Convention on Human Rights

it's a sailing race we're talking about. And the VERY FIRST part of rule 19 EXPLICITLY states that right to participate is presumed.

Yes but what rights

Our MNA states some tinh similar in their constitution preamble but then breach them in the requirements to a sailing club to be affiliated. The MNA constitution contradicts itself

Its not what is said or written it all about what is done in practice

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7c7f43ed915d48c241023b/oft311.pdf

The above publication by the Office of fair trading discussed Unfair contract terms

In our CPA it clearly states that the requirement that a consumer must enter into an additional agreement with a third party is unlawful.

A condition could be considered to be an unfair term of condition in the agreement to enter a yacht race

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
As specified in the European Convention on Human Rights
The convention protects people from abuse by the State not organisations acting entirely independently of the state.

Yes but what rights

Our MNA states some tinh similar in their constitution preamble but then breach them in the requirements to a sailing club to be affiliated. The MNA constitution contradicts itself
If you have a problem with how your MNA interprets or applies the rules, I suggest you take it up with them. Since the thread is an RYA one - it’s probably worth bearing in mind that the RYA does not insist on membership of a club or the RYA for non-ISAF racing, but of course clubs/event series may have their own rules. I’ve never heard anyone in any sport think it was unreasonable for a club to restrict some of its events to its own members where it suited its interests to do so.
Its not what is said or written it all about what is done in practice

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7c7f43ed915d48c241023b/oft311.pdf

The above publication by the Office of fair trading discussed Unfair contract terms

In our CPA it clearly states that the requirement that a consumer must enter into an additional agreement with a third party is unlawful.

A condition could be considered to be an unfair term of condition in the agreement to enter a yacht race
Not only do you not understand Regulation 19 and the European Convention on Human Rights you also don’t understand the Consumer Protection Act. The equivalent of the ISAF clause is found in virtually every sport at international level, that doesn’t automatically make it fair of course, but does suggest that there would be ample opportunity for someone else to have challenged it. Wait till you find out that most judges, being solicitors/barristers, can only do that by being part of a closed professional body too - you’ll be claiming it’s all a conspiracy to stop you racing without joining.

Since joining itself is cheap, and indeed if you were really good someone might give you honorary membership, the only people who would have a real exclusion would be those who were for some reason barred from membership - but that’s precisely the reason the rule exists: to enable people who are dangerous, cheat, break WADA rules, bring the sport into disrepute etc to be barred from entering.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
It's still spending members' money on hectoring rather than representing and what a stupid question, right out of the 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' style of juvenile debate.

Write to them and propose alternatives. You are acting stupidly because you believe that what the RYA are offering is mandatory. You have a choice to be a member or not, engage or not engage with the RYA. You also have a choice to conduct your sailing activities in a way that limits environmental impact. If you do limit the environmental impact, you may actually do what the Green Blue is asking you to do, or meet the intent. You demonstrate that you don't understand this, hence you must be too juvenile to engage in active debate.

dgadee

Visit site
The convention protects people from abuse by the State not organisations acting entirely independently of the state.
Not really. ECHR started like that but then individuals could access rights horizontally. That's where privacy rights against another individual (or newspaper) arose, for example.

Skylark

Visit site
After many years membership I've cancelled my Gold Card Subscription. The change in logo and the reply attempting to justify the decision in the usual meeting 'bullshit bingo' was the last straw.

I'll have a few more beer tokens to spend in the club bar.
I’ve only now opened this thread. Ironically, I’ve just read the Oban Harbour thread (immediately above this currently) where everyone is heaping praise upon RYA for their thorough and comprehensive response to the matter, many concluding “that’s why I continue to be a member”

Evidently RYA can’t please all of the people, all of the time 😁