RYA legal dept.

Apetts

Visit site
Has anyone managed to actually get a reply to an e-mail enquiry from this department. I have now tried twice, the first time having had no reply after 14 days I managed to get through on the telephone ang got the responce ' you must be the chap that e-mailed me two weeks ago...'. It's now going on for three weeks since my last enquiry but still no responce. I am begining to think that it might be time to cancel my direct debit membership subscription and let them chase me for funds.
I can't help thinking that new premisses on the Hamble are rather an extravegant use of my membership subscription. Had they moved to Barnsley they could have had excellent facilities and had much, much more money to spend on the interests of the members!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

CPN

Visit site
They are very very slow. I made an inquiry about buying a boat in the USA. By the time I had a reply the boat had been sold. But the advice was good !!??

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
I have always had superb service and advice from the lovely Claire Bradley at the RYA, but always on the phone, you might find that sending by email brings legal liabilities into play and so more care is required hence the delay.

Moving to Barnsley would bring the RYA into the Italian world as Barnsley is re-styling itself on a Tuscan(?) village. Dickie Bird speaks very highly of it and, believe me it's true, there are some fabulous villages and beatiful areas in the environs. It is one of the towns in the UK that is most loved by it's residents as more people don't migrate or move away from Barnsley than any other town.

I have just moved my kid's savings accounts to the prestigous Barnsley Building Society, but won't be supporting it's soccer team:)

(no, I don't live there either)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mudhook

Visit site
My experience has been that they are first class, even a document send by e-mail almost before I'd put the phome down recently.

Surely we can give them a break for having moved their entire offices about two weeks ago. Yesterday I wanted to order a book from them and the lady very kindly said, 'We're running a bit late due to having had the auditirs in, so I can't promise it to you inside 28 days.' Fine, I get the book from Kelvin H and will save my RYA token for something else.

Perhaps I'm more sympathetic to the RYA as I work for a smaller association very much like the RYA in spirit. They can have my subs rain or shine - in my view the service is good, the advice excellent and the 'united we stand' lobbying the only thing that stands between us and exams, licences, no-go zones and what else.

Re Barnsley. Last time I came through ona train, a gruff Yorkshire voice behind me said, 'No point in opening the doors here; no-one in their right mind will be getting off!'

Regards, Mudhook

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Barnsley

>It is one of the towns in the UK that is most loved by it's residents as more people don't migrate or move away from Barnsley than any other town.<

Probably find that more would if t'trains opened t'doors when they stopped there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re:Barnsley

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/readmore.htm>http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/readmore.htm</A>

mm can't see anyone not wanting to live there
this is today's <font color=red>hot news

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

petery

Visit site
Over the past 6 months, I have been pursuing an issue with the RYA and have never had a reply or even an acknowledgment to my letters and e-mails from the RYA legal department without having to remind them with increasingly forceful e-mails.

I usually wait 2 months before jogging their memory.

I had to remind them (and myself) that their legal staff were not in private practice - where they could choose their clients - but were 'servants' of the association of which I was a member.

I finally got some action by involving my RYA regional office.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re:Barnsley

If anyone knows the secret of the blasted one-way system - particularly that bit at the bottom of the hill where Buses seem to attack you from all sides and you always end up on some form of service vehicle car park - please explain it to me

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

EdmundWhelanRYA

Visit site
As the Legal and Government Affairs Manager at the RYA, I was interested to read this thread.

I can say that all communications, whether from Affiliated Clubs, Training Centres, Personal Members, Government Departments, or any other source, whether by telephone, fax, post or e-mail, are dealt with as promptly as possible.

However, with a small staff and a substantial work load we have to prioritise. This involves distinguishing between simple and complex inquiries, and between urgent and non-urgent.

The simple things, and the urgent things we try to deal with immediately; things that are complex and non-urgent obviously can't be . For these matters we try to apply the standard public agency target of reply within 3 weeks, but do not always succeed. Some really complex issues can be in the pending tray for months. Not a satisfatory situation either for members or for staff.

However, I am glad to say that the Council of the RYA is addressing the problem. With the retirement last week of Jerry Eardley, our Legal and Environmental Policy Advisor (after 15 years of prioritising he is off to build his dream; a larch on oak gaff cutter), the Council has agreed to resource two posts to replace him. One is that of Planning and Environmental Policy Officer (and Dr Susie tomson PhD is already in place). The second is Government Affairs Advisor, and a Solicitor/ex professional mariner is to take the post within the next few weeks.

Once we are fully settled into our very much more efficient new office and once we are up to full strength, our response time to all enquiries and issues should be back within target.

Edmund Whelan

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Department of Putting Things off Till Retirement!

jeez!

Answering an email isn't dependent upon settling into a new office, appointing advisors, being "interested at this thread on the internet", chatting about gaff cutters or anything else. Fact is "as promptly as possible" is no good as lots of bankrupt orgainsations have found out. Lots of businesses fire people - and everyone protests that they were "doing their best" - which is fine for the art lesson in the Infants School, but not for anyone old enough to wear long trousers.

Every business-based email sent to any office MUST be able to get a response on the same day - even if the response is "we'll get back to you": if you can't respond to all calls and emails - you won't ever "catch up" - because there'll be more emails tomorrow when you're still wading through yesterday's, and so on.

The same applies (even more so) to telephone calls. You should be able to answer all calls within the amount of time it takes to pick up the phone - three "rings" is an achievable maximum, as I know from experience - even on the same day that you move office building, never mind weeks and weks later.

But you seem content to defend a tardy response, and advise that it will be back "within target limts" once some "policy officers" have been appointed. I wonder what those limits would be?

Lots of those involved in industries/compaines come on here - but to their credit they do adress the issue - not attempt to defend why the response is poor. You even think we'll be okay because someone has retired after 15 years of "prioritising" - a clear euphemism for following a policy of always putting off today what could be done tomorrow. Really, it's not very good at all.

I'm not being rude - this is commercial reality. You don't need to answer this - go and kick some people into answering the queries posed, or at least responding with when ananswr will be forthcoming and stop wasting time on the internet - until of course your orgainsation joins those that answer the phone in three rings, and answers if not resolves all emails the SAME DAY.

<hr width=100% size=1>

EdmundWhelanRYA

Visit site
Re: Department of Putting Things off Till Retirement!

Two misapprehensions to be corrected; one question to be answered; and one to be asked.

Para 3 We have not been in the new building for 'weeks and weeks'.This is the second full week in occupation.

Para 4 You ask what the the time limits are. Simple urgent queries are dealt with immediately. Simple non-urgent, by the end of the working day. Complex urgent, start immediately, but each takes as long as it takes (and this can involve legal or technical research, contacting other parties for their input, a site visit or other time consuming work); complex non-urgent, target as for Public Agencies, 3 working weeks.

Para 6 You suggest I 'stop wasting time on the internet'. In fact this thread was drawn to my attention by an RYA member who rang me about it. The staff here do not monitor Scuttlebut in office time. We rely on supportive members out there to bring relevant issues to our attention. I see that in the 15 months you have been registered you have run up an impressive 4137 posts. Obviously you are a serious supporter of the forum; would you like to be one of our monitors? If so please call me at RYA HQ.

<hr width=100% size=1>