RYA Coatal Skipper Course in Greece what should be expected?

daveg45

Visit site
Sorry the title should read 'coastal skipper course' but I don't know how to edit the title

I'm not sure if the is the place to post this thread but as lots of you on here seem Greece based I thought I would.

It seems a bit superfluous to me doing an RYA coastal skipper practical course in Greece (non tidal and not much in the way of passage planning required unlike the UK where is has been pointed out before is where the courses are aimed at). So what should someone expect to receive in the way of tuition and experience from the course? So far on day one a bit of pontoon bashing a lunch stop in an anchorage and returning to the same marina doesn't really cut it. More comp crew/day skipper stuff I would have thought.

Anyone on here done their coastal skipper out here able to comment?

Last edited:

Toutvabien

Visit site
I would expect it to include an overnight passage and maybe a night entry to an unfamiliar port or harbour, crew and yacht management for passage over 24 hours, weather and passage planning, MOB recovery, col regs, chartwork around course to steer EP etc. anchoring, med mooring and how to drink Retsina.

Davy_S

Visit site
There used to be a very good rya coastal skipper course (non tidal) based in Corfu, I cannot think of the name, but someone will know. I think you will find that it is a lot more than a day course with a bit of pontoon bashing! Navigation, buoyage, course planning, it is over several days and you are expected to know the basics before you start.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
There used to be a very good rya coastal skipper course (non tidal) based in Corfu, I cannot think of the name, but someone will know. I think you will find that it is a lot more than a day course with a bit of pontoon bashing! Navigation, buoyage, course planning, it is over several days and you are expected to know the basics before you start.
Greece? First, find your buoys!

daveg45

Visit site
I would expect it to include an overnight passage and maybe a night entry to an unfamiliar port or harbour, crew and yacht management for passage over 24 hours, weather and passage planning, MOB recovery, col regs, chartwork around course to steer EP etc. anchoring, med mooring and how to drink Retsina.

That would seem a reasonable content. Let's see if that's what is delivered. it is not me doing the course BTW. I'm not a big RYA fan. The organisation is far too blue flag and blazers for me. Watching other agencies training their content seems lots better. Just now for instance two training boats back. Hanked on gib, spinnaker pole at the ready and proper set of sails (not RYA) . Much more better as jack sparrow would say.

Tranona

Visit site
That would seem a reasonable content. Let's see if that's what is delivered. it is not me doing the course BTW. I'm not a big RYA fan. The organisation is far too blue flag and blazers for me. Watching other agencies training their content seems lots better. Just now for instance two training boats back. Hanked on gib, spinnaker pole at the ready and proper set of sails (not RYA) . Much more better as jack sparrow would say.

Not sure you understand what the RYA schemes are about, judging from your comments. Perhaps you can share with us who the other "agencies" are? The RYA do not provide any training. They only set the syllabus and validate the certificates to meet MCA requirements. A whole host of organisations are approved to courses to meet the RYA syllabus, all of which are independent and most of which would not match your "blue flag and blazers" cliche.

BTW what makes hank on sails and spinnaker pole ready so special?

Heckler

Visit site
Not sure you understand what the RYA schemes are about, judging from your comments. Perhaps you can share with us who the other "agencies" are? The RYA do not provide any training. They only set the syllabus and validate the certificates to meet MCA requirements. A whole host of organisations are approved to courses to meet the RYA syllabus, all of which are independent and most of which would not match your "blue flag and blazers" cliche.

BTW what makes hank on sails and spinnaker pole ready so special?
Me? am an old cynic! Did my DS practical in Gib, so tidal. Thats all I need for my ICC, swmbo as well. So we meet all the reg things! Why should we do any more? Me and her sailed our boat to Portugal last year. I bet more than a lot of the "fast track yotties" have done!
S

daveg45

Visit site
Tranona I believe hanked on sails gives experience of sail handling and better understanding of the different type of foresails sails rather then just rolling one up on the forestay. A spinnaker pole rigged and ready suggests they are actually going to use it and do some spinaker training. (they did). You are right, the RYA sets the syllabus and the schools are affiliated to the RYA. The piper calls the tune. When I refered to 'blue flag and blazers' I levied that comment at the RYA as an organisation.

You asked who the other agencies are well for example ISSA (international Sailing School Association) is a another sailing agency is it not? There are others.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Tranona I believe hanked on sails gives experience of sail handling and better understanding of the different type of foresails sails rather then just rolling one up on the forestay. A spinnaker pole rigged and ready suggests they are actually going to use it and do some spinaker training. (they did). You are right, the RYA sets the syllabus and the schools are affiliated to the RYA. The piper calls the tune. When I refered to 'blue flag and blazers' I levied that comment at the RYA as an organisation.

You asked who the other agencies are well for example ISSA (international Sailing School Association) is a another sailing agency is it not? There are others.

But they don't issue RYA certificates acceptable by the MCA.

Seems like you live a bit in the past. Roller furling headsails are almost universal now and perhaps people are more interested in learning about the type of sailing and gear that they will actually encounter, rather than listening to people telling them about what it was like in the old days. Don't see that learning spinnaker handling at the early stages of of learning which is where the the Day Skipper starts is necessarily a sign of a superior approach to teaching sailing.

daveg45

Visit site
Ok well here is another agency then. International Yacht Training Worldwide. They can issue an ICC can they not?

A few years ago while anchored at portimao I remember watching a sail training yacht (non RYA affiliated). They spent their time sailing on various points of sail over and over again. Everyone onboard having a great time working the boat. Meanwhile an RYA boat bounced off a pontoon 5 times so everyone could have a go before retiring to the Pappa Joe's (or whatever the place is called) for a few beers.

Personally I found the Day Skipper Course a bit wanting. Where can someone go if they want to learn how to use a spinaker or cruising shute safely for example and I don't remember my instructor mentioning snubbers when anchoring. The next level up is coastal skipper and when I enquired about that with Devon sailing the guy said 'why would you want to do That? You are ready out there doing it." Point taken I put my wallet away. Next course was yacht master theory. Enough said. You seem very pro RYA Tranona do you have a connection by any chance?

jordanbasset

Visit site
When I did my RYA Course the boat had a hanked on gib/genoa. It was in November in the Solent area and I remember having to go forward and change the thing several times a day (On the positive side it helped me make up my mind to never a buy a boat with that set up). Since that course have never used one and cannot see me ever using one again. But if for some reason I was transported back in time courtesy of a Delorean I am sure it would come in useful.
Overall I did find the course useful and the RYA Syllabus about right. As others have said the courses themselves are run by private companies and a good or bad company will make the difference as to whether you have a good or bad course.

daveg45

Visit site
I suppose given the sector of the market the courses are aimed at you and others make a fair point jordanbasset. The boat I did my day skipper on had hanked in sails too and mine doesn't. There is also a tidal and non tidal variant of the course too so I should take that into consideration too. I just got to thinking what else is out there.