Rusted Anchor

AleCiotti

Visit site
alright so hammerite seems to be a good option, do I not put any primer before it? do I also coat the non rusted surfaces so it looks even? should I not use a rust converter like phosphoric acid after wire brushing and before painting?
is a standard 4inch short/medium pile roller and or a brush ok?
Thanks!

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
alright so hammerite seems to be a good option, do I not put any primer before it? do I also coat the non rusted surfaces so it looks even? should I not use a rust converter like phosphoric acid after wire brushing and before painting?
is a standard 4inch short/medium pile roller and or a brush ok?
Thanks!
Don't lose sight of the fact that it's an anchor! Nobody cares what it looks like, just daub the stuff on with a brush.

There are two issues with primer - galvanised surfaces need an etch primer, steel.ones don't. From.memory your anchor seems to have quite a lot of zinc still, so I would use Hammerite Special Metals primer followed by their paint. I did my Delta in France, where Hammerite was then unknown. I used a spray etch primer followed by a spray zinc rich.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your tips!
before putting a zinc spray on it how can I remove the rust without damaging it? wire brushes?
Also, do you put any kind of corrosion-free primer as advised above before applying the zinc spray?
Thanks
I just use a wire brush, rinse off and spray on this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/JENOLITE-G...1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Other than drying time, less than 10 minutes work each season. Occasionally touch up mid year if worn off too much (as anchor gets heavy use).
I wouldn’t over agonise over this

AleCiotti

Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation!
Does it hold decently even when anchoring frequently?
so after wire brushing you rinse with fresh water and then wait for it to dry?

AleCiotti

Visit site
Don't lose sight of the fact that it's an anchor! Nobody cares what it looks like, just daub the stuff on with a brush.

There are two issues with primer - galvanised surfaces need an etch primer, steel.ones don't. From.memory your anchor seems to have quite a lot of zinc still, so I would use Hammerite Special Metals primer followed by their paint. I did my Delta in France, where Hammerite was then unknown. I used a spray etch primer followed by a spray zinc rich
i couldn't find the primer you suggested but I see some etch primers on amazon from jenolite, I suppose it should work
Thanks again!

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation!
Does it hold decently even when anchoring frequently?
so after wire brushing you rinse with fresh water and then wait for it to dry?
Yes, wire brush, hose, allow to dry (30 mins if get the one day of summer), spray two coats leave an hour and refit.
If the anchor scrapes on rock anything will come off. Otherwise, as long as only finds mud seems fine.
A bling shiny s/s or perfectly anodised anchor suggests a marina queen - a slightly dishevelled but not rusty anchor suggests a seasoned anchorer :)
PS. But I would still bin the Delta - we did after 3 months.

AleCiotti

Visit site
Yes, wire brush, hose, allow to dry (30 mins if get the one day of summer), spray two coats leave an hour and refit.
If the anchor scrapes on rock anything will come off. Otherwise, as long as only finds mud seems fine.
A bling shiny s/s or perfectly anodised anchor suggests a marina queen - a slightly dishevelled but not rusty anchor suggests a seasoned anchorer :)
PS. But I would still bin the Delta - we did after 3 months.
got it, i've heard from comments above that straight after wire brushing I should coat as the rusting process will immediately restart, so maybe I just wipe with a microfiber towel and acetone, and start coating straight after.
As for the Delta, I'm hearing from many people that it is not a good anchor, will see what other good options there are!
Thanks again 😁

Refueler

Visit site
got it, i've heard from comments above that straight after wire brushing I should coat as the rusting process will immediately restart, so maybe I just wipe with a microfiber towel and acetone, and start coating straight after.
As for the Delta, I'm hearing from many people that it is not a good anchor, will see what other good options there are!
Thanks again 😁

mmmm make life easy ....

Wire brush ... wipe off with clean dry cloth .... apply Hammerite with a reasonable brush. Anything more than two coats is wasting paint ...

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks again 😁
Nice boat from your profile picture. What is it?

Metalicmike

Visit site
What is epoxy Tar, Years ago Tar was a by product of Coke production. In my youth I actually made castings for the Stills which were 12ft diameter (Bubble trays and hoods) made from Cast Iron, These were the days of Town Gas where lots of products were made from coal eg soap, coal gas pitch tar and oil. The uk was like a giant clock with everyone working to keep it going then someone decided to modernise it resulting in high un employment, dissatisfaction, depression and riots.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not true in the slightest. I bought my first Delta when they were fairly new on the market and used them for more than 20 years with great success. The design has its flaws, mostly its inability to cope with soft mud, but in sandy seabeds it holds as well as most rivals. Concave anchors have overcome this specific shortcoming but the Delta could well be the most prolific anchor on the market, carried by the majority of charter boats.

Birdseye

Visit site
In the grand old days when I worked, I ran a plant that included a hot dip galv facility. I mention that to explain that for once on the forum I know what I am talking about. :)

Hot dip galvanisisng is very different from any painting process in that it forms a metallurgical bond with the underlying iron and cant be chipped off by impact / abrasion. Whats more it is sacrificial so it erodes away as it does its job of protecting the iron itself. Paint of any sort is a very poor alternative.

You see the difference as the sand / gravel etc on the sea bed wears away the paint coat and rust spreads underneath the paint reducing its adhesion

Having said all that I have gone for a Fortress on both my last two boats. Holds as well as anything else, and saves my back when putting it away in the anchor locker for racing.

AleCiotti

Visit site
In the grand old days when I worked, I ran a plant that included a hot dip galv facility. I mention that to explain that for once on the forum I know what I am talking about. :)

Hot dip galvanisisng is very different from any painting process in that it forms a metallurgical bond with the underlying iron and cant be chipped off by impact / abrasion. Whats more it is sacrificial so it erodes away as it does its job of protecting the iron itself. Paint of any sort is a very poor alternative.

You see the difference as the sand / gravel etc on the sea bed wears away the paint coat and rust spreads underneath the paint reducing its adhesion

Having said all that I have gone for a Fortress on both my last two boats. Holds as well as anything else, and saves my back when putting it away in the anchor locker for racing.
thanks for the comment, although here in Spain there aren't many facilities where I can bring it to Galvanise and from what I've heard they all have a minimum weight and price order which are very high, which wouldn't be worth for a single anchor..

rogerthebodger

Visit site
thanks for the comment, although here in Spain there aren't many facilities where I can bring it to Galvanise and from what I've heard they all have a minimum weight and price order which are very high, which wouldn't be worth for a single anchor..
I am also in Favour of galvanizing for a longer life.

To mitigate the high batch cost, I would add my small batch to the batch of another batch of galvanizing

Refueler

Visit site
I am also in Favour of galvanizing for a longer life.

To mitigate the high batch cost, I would add my small batch to the batch of another batch of galvanizing

I have a pal who is Commercial Director of a Metals Fabrication facility .... they regularly send items for Hot Dip ... when I have mentioned to him before - he's always offered to add my tiny item to the works load ... getting round the minimum kg / cost factor.