Rusted Anchor

AleCiotti

Visit site
Hi guys my anchor is showing signs of rusting, I've heard people talking about regalvanizing but it seems complicate and way too expensive.

Also heard of zinc paint and cold galvanic sprays.

Anyone had any experience with this problem, thanks!

Attachments

• Visualizza foto recenti.jpeg
    Visualizza foto recenti.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

NormanS

Visit site
You could just use a wire brush to remove the rust, and then paint with a zinc rich paint.
Any moment now, there will be a rash of people here telling you that it's the wrong design of anchor, made of the wrong material, and that it's too heavy for your boat. Ignore them, and enjoy using it.

Tranona

Visit site
Any moment now, there will be a rash of people here telling you that it's the wrong design of anchor, made of the wrong material, and that it's too heavy for your boat. Ignore them, and enjoy using it.
Why would anybody do that? The question was answered in post~2 so nothing more to be said.

Neeves

Visit site
Well, whilst I agree with Tranona's sage words - I might add:

Its, sometimes, economic to regalvanise chain and members often post threads on the topic. If you can piggy back on their project, you add your anchor to their chain, its all quite simple. Most of the issues are waiting for someone local to you with whom you can share the procedure. Regalvansing is really not difficult (but can be costly for a single anchor.)

In the meantime watch the threads here on PBO and carry on using your anchor, as is. Rust of the level shown in your picture will not affect the performance of the anchor and the more you use the anchor - the less you will notice it, use and seabed abrasion removes rust.

Jonathan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I sanded and painted my Delta using zinc spray many years ago. It was used for a couple of seasons before retirement in the locker as a spare but still looks fairly rust free. Since then my Rocna has been used a great deal and has lost much of its galvanising. I paint it every year, white as this makes it visible on the seabed in Greece.

AleCiotti

Visit site
I sanded and painted my Delta using zinc spray many years ago. It was used for a couple of seasons before retirement in the locker as a spare but still looks fairly rust free. Since then my Rocna has been used a great deal and has lost much of its galvanising. I paint it every year, white as this makes it visible on the seabed in Greece.
Thanks everyone for your tips!
before putting a zinc spray on it how can I remove the rust without damaging it? wire brushes?
Also, do you put any kind of corrosion-free primer as advised above before applying the zinc spray?
Thanks

Neeves

Visit site
It is very difficult, but not impossible, to damage an anchor. A wire brush on an angle grinder will not damage it.

If you regularly use your anchor then paint, whether with a primer or not, will simply not last. Paint has almost no abrasion resistance. If you are wanting to keep up appearances and/or reduce the rust staining you top sides and don't anchor often then attack it with a wire brush ( my choice would be one on an angle grinder). Then a primer followed by a zinc rich paint. I sadly cannot advise on what might be available in the UK. But you want an 'anti corrosion' primer and paint, your hard ware store will advise). You only need small tins. But if you paint - and however much time you invest - it will need treated repetitively.

We don't know where you and the yacht live - but take the anchor home and paint it there during the week (or whatever). I'm working on the assumption you don't cycle to the boat :).

Jonathan

Edit

I'm not suggesting you change your anchor - but members here post that they have sourced anchors in the UK on eBay etc etc and that might be cheaper than regalvanising - I don't know :( and less effort than painting.

As mentioned by others - we all have 'problems' with loss of galvanising - its one of the pleasures of owning a yacht - you are not alone

Last edited:

AleCiotti

Visit site
Ok, thank you for your detailed reply.
Will try wire brushing with an angle grinder to remove the current rust (should I sand afterwards to give it a smooth surface?), clean it, apply a rust-resistant primer, and finish off with the zinc rich paint.

I'm in Spain, the boat is rarely used as of right now, but we are doing a big refit and planning to start using it a lot.

Also to avoid future rust, is a fresh water rinse when picking it up and storing it when not in use enough?

Thanks! (y)

neil_s

Visit site
I paint my anchor to cover up the lost galvanising (and so that it matches the boat!) but it's something you will have to do every year. Hammerite paint is quite tough and easy to get.

Neeves

Visit site
Ok, thank you for your detailed reply.
Will try wire brushing with an angle grinder to remove the current rust (should I sand afterwards to give it a smooth surface?), clean it, apply a rust-resistant primer, and finish off with the zinc rich paint.

I'm in Spain, the boat is rarely used as of right now, but we are doing a big refit and planning to start using it a lot.

Also to avoid future rust, is a fresh water rinse when picking it up and storing it when not in use enough?

Thanks! (y)
I use discs that are made up of stainless wires, they are pretty lethal so wear goggles, gloves and ensure you are not constantly interrupted. The finish is 'nasty' the wire discs remove the rust and lift the metal surface such that your skin sticks to it if you 'stroke' it :). I would not sand as the rough surface is a perfect key for primer adhesion. You want to prime immediately after grinding - as soon as you clean the surface - corrosion recommences (you cannot see it). This is why galvanisers clean with acid, removing rust, and immediately galvanise (as galvanising needs clean steel)

As an aside - if you paint your anchor but later decide you would rather re-galvanise the galvaniser might reject your anchor unless all the paint is removed. Its not difficult, the wire brush and paint stripper works wonders - but far to fiddly for a galvaniser who needs through put.

I believe there are 'galvaniser associations' in most countries and they usually produce directories. If you are going to be 'marina' or boat yard based keep you ears tuned to hearing of owners who want to re-gal their chain.

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
I have 4 anchors ... all have their share of rust .... wire brush and Hammerite grey.

I thought about buying Zinc based etc - but then thought - how much real difference is it going to make ?? Given that I have used Zinc based in past - the Hammerite actually proved to be quite good. It wore off in similar fashion ... anchor stayed visually similar over similar time period.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
IMHO painting and anchor is only a stop gap I have a steel boat and fabricate my own anchors and fittings for my boats and only consider galvanizing for small components as there is a limitation in size that can be dipped.

The best way to remove rust from steel is using hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid. to clean the steel surface for any painting.

chipping loose rust is a better of removing loose rust.

This is how I repair any rust patches on the hull of my boat then paint with high build epoxy

The very best way to clean steel for painting is grit blasting such that there is a rough surface for the paint to grip on to as per BS standards

I grit blasted my steel boat inside and out before painting within 3/4 hours of blasting

andsarkit

Visit site
Not all paint will adhere well to zinc. You might need to use a special primer or carefully check the specification of the paint you intend to use. Lots of information online on preparation and painting of zinc coated steel.

Metalicmike

Visit site
Same as above, shot blasting is best and not expensive, other wise grind or wire brush then treat with a rust treatment product, Prime with a zinc phosphate primer then coat with epoxy or Hammarite.

Amlov

Visit site
As a recent owner of a Spade anchor, I was wondering whether painting it before it became rusty would help stop it rusting - or am I doomed to have a rusty anchor no matter what I do?

Refueler

Visit site
Lets be honest ... a few nachorings and all those lovely edges will soon start to show a bit of rust .... Hammerite, Zinc Paint, Galvanize .. they all suffer ...

I'm quite happy to wire brush - slap on the Hammerite ... quick - simple ..

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The Standard for painting steel being SA2.5 ... years of having that drummed into me for painting ships decks etc !!

Yes the standard which allows the paint to stick correctly

and ships do tend to be painted black, so the rust does not show up too much in my neck of the ocean
anyway

My hull below the waterline is painted with epoxy tar to protect the steel then antifoul on top of the epoxy tar

May be try Epoxy tar and an anchor after grit blasting