Running engine without alternater

All_at_Sea

Visit site
I need to remove the alternater for a service/change and may need to move the boat in the mean time. Any problems with running the engine without the alt wired into the system?

VicS

Visit site
I need to remove the alternater for a service/change and may need to move the boat in the mean time. Any problems with running the engine without the alt wired into the system?

No problem from electrical point of view, apart from not charging the battery.

Make sure you insulate the connections though.

Nothing else eg coolant pump, driven by the same belt ?

Billjratt

Visit site
Definately need the pump if its a freshwater cooled engine with a heat exchanger. Possibly fitting a smaller/ emergency-type belt would do the job if the route between the two pulleys is clear.

prv

Visit site
Possibly fitting a smaller/ emergency-type belt would do the job if the route between the two pulleys is clear.

Yes - although there are plenty of engines (mine included) where the alternator is on its own belt with the pump either on a separate one or driven directly. No problem popping the alternator belt off for me.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
BUT
even if there is an engine coolant pump driven by the same belt you'd able to run the enigne for a ( good) few minutes without the coolant being circulated if its only to move the boat a short distance, between marina berths or to another nearby mooring for example.

prv

Visit site
BUT
even if there is an engine coolant pump driven by the same belt you'd able to run the enigne for a ( good) few minutes without the coolant being circulated if its only to move the boat a short distance, between marina berths or to another nearby mooring for example.

My exhaust hose wouldn't thank me for trying that.

Might be ok on a freshwater-cooled engine if the seawater pump is still running to cool the exhaust. But don't most of these drive the freshwater pump with a shaft (as it's part of the base industrial or automotive engine) and the seawater pump with the belt?

Pete

Visit site
Mine is driven by the same belt so l will take it off and leave the boat until the alternater if fixed.

Thanks all.

Or you could go to Halfords and get an emergency fanbelt to put around the bits you still need, or if you remember the old 'get you home' trick a pair of ladies stockings will do as a temporary drive belt :)

Mal

theoldsalt

Visit site
But don't most of these drive the freshwater pump with a shaft (as it's part of the base industrial or automotive engine) and the seawater pump with the belt?

Pete

I think most indirect engines are the other way round. The fresh water pump is driven by the "fan belt" and the raw (salt) water pump is direct shaft driven. That's the setup on my Thornycroft T80.

Last edited:

theoldsalt

Visit site
This setup may be as a result of the marinisation of a vehicle engine rather than an original marine engine.

The fresh water is circulated around the cooling jacket of the engine using a vane pump driven by a belt. It is a vane (non positive displacment) pump as the flow will vary as the thermostat opens and closes to maintain water temperature.

The raw water pump however is usually an impeller (positive or fixed displacement) pump shaft driven as water flow though the heat exchanger is required to be dependant on engine speed. Because this pump is fixed displacement the water discharge flow should not be restricted as very high pressures can be generated. Also the supply flow should not be restricted as this causes a vacuum resulting in the collapse of the inlet pipe.

VicS

Visit site
My volvo 2003 is fresh water and the circulating pump is driven by the same belt as the alternator and the raw water pump is driven off the end of the camshaft,
Mike

Thats the sort of set up I had in mind when I referred to the "coolant pump", A common arrangement on Volvo and other makes of engine.

However it is possible for the seawater pump to also be belt driven.

Taken me a few moments to find an example but Thorneycoft 90 and 108 engines have a belt driven salt water pump. However in these it it is driven by a separate belt from the alternator and fresh water pump.

Almost all combinations are possible I guess

charles_reed

Visit site
My exhaust hose wouldn't thank me for trying that.

Might be ok on a freshwater-cooled engine if the seawater pump is still running to cool the exhaust. But don't most of these drive the freshwater pump with a shaft (as it's part of the base industrial or automotive engine) and the seawater pump with the belt?

Pete
I think you'll find the raw-water pump is driven by a separate belt assembly - it's intended to work @ 100s rather than 1000s of rpm.
The suggestion of running for a "short time" is probably specious, unless <5 mins, you'll definitely risk head distortion without pump assistance for the engine coolant.
I had a number of cars (Austin 7s and Alvis 12/60) which had a genuine thermo-siphon system, but they were designed before 1930.

prv

Visit site
don't most of these drive the freshwater pump with a shaft (as it's part of the base industrial or automotive engine) and the seawater pump with the belt?

I think you'll find the raw-water pump is driven by a separate belt assembly

Erm, that's exactly what I said. And turned out to be wrong anyway :D

What do I know, my engine's seawater cooled, I only have the one pump to worry about :)

Pete

Visit site
Hi I thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. Last weekend I ran my engine (yanmar 2YM15) for 11 hours continually as we crossed Lyme Bay in flat calm conditions. Just as we were coming into port it started making the continual high electronic beep it does when it is unhappy and all the warning lights came on.

I switched it off, dropped the anchor, had a look and saw that the alternator belt was broken. To my shame I was not carrying a spare but luckily I managed to get a tow in.

On this engine, the belt that drives the alternator doesn't drive anything else so according to this thread, once I'd ascertained the cause of the problem I guess I could've ignored the warning sound and lights and completed the trip under my own steam.

But my main question is, is it normal for alternators to just snap like this? It's only two seasons old. Is this just the sort of thing that happens from time to time, it could it be my engine's way of telling me about a more profound problem?