Run frig in marina

vic008

Visit site
Is it ok to run the 12v frig off the battery, when in the marina, or should you have it running on mains supply whenever possible? Thanks

Robin

Visit site
Is it ok to run the 12v frig off the battery, when in the marina, or should you have it running on mains supply whenever possible? Thanks

ours (liveabords} runs 24/7 off 12v, with battery charger when in the marina. Our previous one ran on mains first priority but we dropped that when we replaced it with same make newer model.

superheat6k

Visit site
I understand current 12v / 240v models cost ~ £1-200 more than a 12v only. The fridge itself will run off 12v so you are just using a built in power supply. In my view simplest just to have a 12v supply, but when in the marina avoid running the fridge too long without an external power source.

Yngmar

Visit site
It's totally fine. When you're plugged into shorepower, your charger will be applying a float charge anyways and keeping the battery at a set voltage. Any draw from the battery bank will be compensated by the charger putting out a little more power, which doesn't bother it in the least.

The only reason 230/12V fridges exist is so that you can turn off the 12V supply to them and leave the fridge running when you abandon the boat for a while and they won't empty the battery if shorepower goes out whilst you're away (in that case the fridge simply goes off until plugged in again).

johnalison

Visit site
I have to admit that I was unaware that such things as 12/220v fridges existed, and they seem to have limited use other than that mentioned. Our routine is to have the fridge on continuously when aboard but turn the control down to 1 when sailing or not on shore power.

Boathook

Visit site
I have to admit that I was unaware that such things as 12/220v fridges existed, and they seem to have limited use other than that mentioned. Our routine is to have the fridge on continuously when aboard but turn the control down to 1 when sailing or not on shore power.

Dometic do a range of multi fuel (12v 240v & gas) fridges.

EU_Cruiser

eucruiserelle.blogspot.com

Overland 4x4's rely on 12v/220v fridges and we have had two (Engels) in our Land Cruiser for nearly 20 years - we transferred this experience to our canal cruiser where we have an Engel box fridge/freezer and an upright 140l Waeco fridge with 22l freezer space. Gas fridges eat gas.

superheat6k

Visit site
The power, whether gas or volts, runs a heater. The consumption is something like 10 amps at 12 volts. Might be OK on a clipper ship :).
These multi power fridges run the Absorption cycle, so do not have a compressor. They have several drawbacks ...

The three modes of operation all use a heater to warm a cylinder which makes a chemical flow by thermo syphon.

240v will run just fine keeping the fridge cold and pulling the temperature down almost as per the fridge at home

12v As Vyv says a lot of power but have no where near the cooling effect of the 240v option. This setting is designed to be used in motor homes when on a long run, with the engine running, so will keep the fridge cool if already down to setting on 240v, but not nearly so effective at bringing a warm fridge to normal cold temperature.

Gas (Butane / Propane) When parked with no 240v available. The 12v would kill the leisure battery in short order, so the gas provides a more effective option. Not recommended for boats as the venting of the burnt gas is difficult on a boat. Motor homes have them directly vented to the outside.

For anyone wanting to better understand how "Abo's" work ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Neeves

Visit site
Really as above.

12v off batteries, batteries under constant charge from mains - when we are to leave marina (which we might only enter to re-provision, see a sight or fuel) - we turn fridge up to maximum cold and freeze whatever can be frozen and fill freezer. If we cannot fill freezer - we freeze water.

Jonathan

johnalison

Visit site
These multi power fridges run the Absorption cycle, so do not have a compressor. They have several drawbacks ...

The three modes of operation all use a heater to warm a cylinder which makes a chemical flow by thermo syphon.

240v will run just fine keeping the fridge cold and pulling the temperature down almost as per the fridge at home

12v As Vyv says a lot of power but have no where near the cooling effect of the 240v option. This setting is designed to be used in motor homes when on a long run, with the engine running, so will keep the fridge cool if already down to setting on 240v, but not nearly so effective at bringing a warm fridge to normal cold temperature.

Gas (Butane / Propane) When parked with no 240v available. The 12v would kill the leisure battery in short order, so the gas provides a more effective option. Not recommended for boats as the venting of the burnt gas is difficult on a boat. Motor homes have them directly vented to the outside.

For anyone wanting to better understand how "Abo's" work ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
I don't think that a gas fridge is a good option either. Some years ago our neighbour in Gdansk was a Lithuanian boat crewed by four burly men. On the pontoon was their gas fridge that had caught fire during a night passage. They were repairing it.