Ruggerini MM191 - advice please.

BotleyBuoy

Visit site
Thanks for that. The prices look to be pretty much the sterling equivalent of the Euro prices on the other site. So much for "clearance". Compare these prices to those for similar BMC parts on this site https://www.asap-supplies.com/engin...over-engine-parts/bmc-1-5-leyland-1500-diesel and you can see what a rip-off VP parts are. It's easy to see why there are still so many of these old engines still running and it's no wonder good used BMC engines sell quickly when they come up.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Sorry for that. The prices looked cheap to me but then I don't know the exchange rates for € and £. (Actually I can see where I went wrong now: I thought the price was for two exhaust valves but it is only one)
Cheers
Clive

Last edited:

Puggy

Visit site
Hello BotleyBuoy

My view would be to avoid this engine. The parts situation will only get worse rather than better. I had a genny with an ancient Faryman diesel and parts got harder and harder to find. I bought every scrap engine I could find on ebay for parts. I replaced impossible to find parts like the fuel pump with an electric alternative and blanked off the hole in the block. Of course this is all possible probably ad infinitum but is that what you want to spend your time and money doing, if you have the choice to buy a boat with a newer engine or one with more spares availability?

Eventually I cut my losses and replaced the genny...

Best wishes Puggy

ghostlymoron

Visit site
It's the age old conundrum with old engines. Tbh the water pump is a bad example as they are more or less endlessly serviceable using proprietary bearings and seals. If something like a piston needs replacing, the engine is scrap. Same for cylinder liners and head gear but these components are unlikely to be needed.
Personally, I'd avoid buying a boat with an obsolete engine unless there's something particularly attractive about it. Even if you factor in the cost of a new engine, there's a great deal of work in replacing an engine when you would rather be sailing.