Rudder stock fashion piece ... damaged

Refueler

Visit site
On my Conq 38 ... the top of rudder stock where bearing is installed into the transom and tiller bracket is bolted - has a fashion plate over and this has become damaged ... initially we could not work out how .. but it is now evident that leaving tiller raised makes the rear of tiller bracket grind away at the plate ...

emVdfA0l.jpg

3YcKUWhl.jpg

yMdDM4Sl.jpg

mh0N9G1l.jpg

Looks like remove tiller and bracket - unscrew plate and have metal guys look and repair so bearing is covered again.
Then its consider a modification to the tiller bracket to stop this happening again.

andsarkit

Visit site
What stops the rudder dropping out of the boat? There must be a bearing which could have worn and allowed the rudder to drop a little. Can you add a nylon or delrin packing washer to raise the rudder and shaft up a few millimetres?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Is there a bottom rudder bearing or is it a spade rudder

If its a spade rudder the thrust bearing would be at the top but if there is a bottom bearing the thrust bearing could be at the bottom like mine is

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes it does and it could be that that lower bearing included a thrust washer to prevent the rudder moving up and down

You need to have a look to see if the rudder will move u and down . If there is movement the thrust bearing could be at the top but had worn, but look closely at the lower rudder connection I think the rudder vertical support is in the lower bearing

rogerthebodger

Visit site
On my Conq 38 ... the top of rudder stock where bearing is installed into the transom and tiller bracket is bolted - has a fashion plate over and this has become damaged ... initially we could not work out how .. but it is now evident that leaving tiller raised makes the rear of tiller bracket grind away at the plate ...

3YcKUWhl.jpg

Looks like remove tiller and bracket - unscrew plate and have metal guys look and repair so bearing is covered again.
Then its consider a modification to the tiller bracket to stop this happening again.

To me it looks like the topside of the tiller is catching on the top cover plate ass the tiller is not rounded at the top so when the tiller is lifted up over vertical it hits the cover ring thus damaging the cover ring upstand

Refueler

Visit site
To me it looks like the topside of the tiller is catching on the top cover plate ass the tiller is not rounded at the top so when the tiller is lifted up over vertical it hits the cover ring thus damaging the cover ring upstand

mmmmm yes that's what we concluded ... see the photo.

The cover plate actually provides a lock to the tiller when raised fully .. it basically 'clicks' and stays up ..

But if tiller is not fastened to stop it turning = this is what happens ... yes - the tiller came unfastened and during rough weather must have moved with rudder causing the damage.

Refueler

Visit site
We checked rudder when lifted before ... she's good ...

The damage to fashion plate is because of storm weather we had and tiller coming unfastened ... then rudder would have been moving about with the tiller bracket damaging the plate.

It may sound daft ... but we only noticed the damage when climbing off the boat this lift out !! As you descend the transom to get off - your eyes fall on that plate !!