Rowing

Falcon71

Visit site
Well, it is boaty. There are the London Heads happening today, and the Big One is competing, so I'm braving the Smoke this morning. Now I'm a newbie on this. They're rowing between Hammersmith and Putney, I'm told Putney embankment is a good place to get to, for a good view, is this true?

Now, I'm going to drive up, any ideas on parking for starters?

Now the nitty gritty, what am I looking for in a good rowing team, well the obvious is that they're going to win, how many boats go at a time? I expect there're going to be age groups and stuff like that. He's doing fours, whatever that might mean, as opposed to eights i expect.

come on everyone, give me the low down. And if anyone is on the Thames thereabouts today, please don't run him over.

tcm

Visit site
Re: Rowing, parking

But surely you'll need to park in more than one place? If so, it's time for the unfortunate broken down car routine: park half on the pavement, hold the phone to your ear, lift the bonnet, peer inside, put phone away, shake head and then watch the start. No, nobody nicks the battery, but make sure the doors are locked.

Falcon71

Visit site
Re: Rowing, parking

What, then car miraculously restarts, I drive to other end, missing rowing, car breaks down again, have to wait until end etc etc.

Actually, further question . are these races held in heats, so if you qualify, do you then hop onto a bus or something, go back to the start to do anther heat, or once you've done your stuff, thats it, its been timed, fastest wins? I then get to g o shopping or something?

And, obvious question, what shoes should I be wearing, will deck shoes look as if I know what I'm doing, or do you think boots would be the better option?

paulineb

Visit site
Footwear

There's only three options as far as footwear is concerned:
1. Sexy boots
2. Slutty sandals
3. Bare feet
Any of these will be very acceptable.

Hope the rowing goes OK. My No 4 does rowing at school. He didn't want to take it up at first - I think it was because of Mr B's attitude to "f***ing scullers".

Good luck

Pxx

claymore

Visit site
Re: Footwear & Transport

Ideally you would be riding a bike along the towpath with a megaphone in your right hand (This allows your to use the rear brake - unless of course you choose to do some front braking at the risk of ending up in the river.)
The humble straw boater is the ideal head gear, a pair of Dunlop Magisters is the essential footwear. Oh yes, please don't use one of those dreadful mountain bikes - the towpath is flat therefore there is no need of 18 gears - might I recommend a sturdy Rudge Roadster.
To appear knowledgeable of the sport, I recommend that you say nothing until the end when a timely "3 cheers for the cox" will suffice.
Hope this helps
Regards
JS

stewart

Visit site
How fast do these things go? Do they have to keep to speed limits on rivers?

When I saw them once I couldn't work out where either the ice maker or sunbed was, seems a strange way to sail to me.

Falcon71

Visit site
Re: Footwear

I'm back,

1. bare feet would seem to be the thing, or giant green wellies.

2. Hundreds and hundreds of skinny boats, and huge lads with thighs, didn't know where to look half the time.

3. thousands of 'young adults'. No chance of finding ones own offspring, i'll probably find out late how he did. Loads of girls, so I expect he had fun.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I do lots of rowing with SWMBO! She usually wins! I only have to stick my oar in and the rowing starts.

Didn't know they had competitions for it, we'd be sure fire winners!

Please, no one tell her I posted this!!!!!

G

I know this is boreing but I thought I might try and answer your question !

I visited the upper Thames last year and as a result I now hate most rowers with passion, however I have a confession to make in the late Eighties I used to row in the Heads race.

Boats dont row against each other as such but row against the clock. Fastest crews go higher up the order once you get to start numbers over 100 you are into some seriously slow crews.

Enjoy yourself, its bound to rain ;-)