Round Britain in a Wayfarer

Visit site
Not that i really care, and i do wish him well, but what is the point in bragging about 'going around the top' and then missing out the Mull of Kintyre because Crinan is easier?

At least he has his blog working well now...

gregandginas

Visit site
I've no wish to see a re-run of the whole "how much of Britain" thing, or more quibbles about Just Giving... but in parallel with this enterprising voyage by Wayfarer, Gavin Millar is having a go by Sailing Canoe...

SO I created a thread...

Setting off around the coast of mainland Britain, hoping to complete a partial circumnavigation... via the Caledonian Canal (perhaps using the Forth Clyde Canal if badly behind)... and aspiring to return to home in Southampton before running out of a window of opportunity that comes with a 3 month sabbatical from work... by Sailing Canoe.​

Sadly, that lot wouldn't fit in the title bar... so please forgive me for using "Around Britain by Sailing Canoe" :eek:

Anyway... as with the Wayfarer adventure... Gavin would appreciate anyone helping to "organise a bit of shopping for supplies, or offering a night under a roof now and then" so he can recharge his "batteries (electronic, physical and mental)".

Quandary

Visit site
Charity sailors

We passed them coming in to Campbeltown last week, we were moving our boat from Ardrishaig over to Crinan for the summer by the scenic route. The weather was benign at the Mull the next day, hot sun, flat water with a 5-15 kt offshore breeze though vis. was poor for a while in the morning, but they still opted to head for the Canal. The only support they have is shore crew with a Range Rover and a camper van, despite this we might have given a donation to their charity if their halyards had been tied off when they cleared off to sleep elsewhere. They were amazed that we found the clattering all night irritating.
Part circumnavigations of GB by the Crinan and Caley canals for 'charity' are very frequent these days and the Canal still offers free passage and assistance to most of them, but you wonder how they manage to raise enough to pay for the boat, the vehicles, the back up crews and the accommodation.
Am I cynical in thinking the motivation is sometimes just an expenses paid adventure holiday.

aBod

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to have done both the Kintyre and the Crinan. The canal was absolutely amazing, it really took me by suprise at how beautiful it was. I don't see why he doesn't use it, after all he is about to slog it out around the top, he's lucky to have some unusualy good weather, it could be alot worse.

Very jealous of the guy, it looks like he's having fun!