Rouen to Le Harve....

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Hi Guys

anyone done Rouen to Le Harve in a small sail boat?

I have read the stuff in books and on Gehans site.... I see wisdom says leave 3 hours before high water Rouen.... problem is I dont have enough time to wait for tides to become right ( you can only travel in daytime).... looks like best I can do is leave at high water... i wondered if anyone had done the same... i believe there might be a bit of a bore??... i guess i will just have to grind it out... my boat will do about 5kts, just hope the current going upstream is not to bad... Wednesday looks like its mid way to neaps..

advice as always gratefully received!

Stuart

mikenfi

Visit site
We came the other way recently however when we left Honfleur we went backwards at just under a knot when we trees to head up the Seine as per the instructions. Good luck. Don't stop on the way we lost a clite at Caudebec

alant

Visit site
Hi Guys

I have read the stuff in books and on Gehans site.... I see wisdom says leave 3 hours before high water Rouen.... problem is I dont have enough time to wait for tides to become right ( you can only travel in daytime).... looks like best I can do is leave at high water... i wondered if anyone had done the same... i believe there might be a bit of a bore??... i guess i will just have to grind it out... my boat will do about 5kts, just hope the current going upstream is not to bad... Wednesday looks like its mid way to neaps..

Stuart

Done it the other way.
However, my advice would be to check the sailing times of the Saga Cruise Liners which inhabit those parts & follow them.

Sybarite

Visit site
Hi Guys

Stuart

Please please please it's LE HAVRE (le hav - ruh).

mikenfi

Visit site
This is the second time we've had some wally on the forum that likes to correct people while they sit in their armchair. This guys has come here for advice not a SPELLING LESSON! Funnily enough the last time this happened in a thread I was involved with I was in Le Havre, and I said the same sort of thing.

Sybarite clearly needs to get to sea more then these small mistakes won't bother you.

This is pretty boring and only goes to show you have clearly got nothing better to do.

I am dyslexic, so if you bring me up on my grammar or spelling mistakes you are outwardly insulting somebody with a learning disability.

I hope your arm chair is comfy! (Fair winds & BBC)

Sybarite

Visit site
This is the second time we've had some wally on the forum that likes to correct people while they sit in their armchair. This guys has come here for advice not a SPELLING LESSON! Funnily enough the last time this happened in a thread I was involved with I was in Le Havre, and I said the same sort of thing.

Sybarite clearly needs to get to sea more then these small mistakes won't bother you.

This is pretty boring and only goes to show you have clearly got nothing better to do.

I am dyslexic, so if you bring me up on my grammar or spelling mistakes you are outwardly insulting somebody with a learning disability.

I hope your arm chair is comfy! (Fair winds & BBC)

It's not just a spelling mistake. Many people pronounce it wrongly which leads to the wrong spelling and will not endear themselves to the locals.

If you can not see it as a constructive criticism that's your problem.

Those with a bit more history of the forum than you (with your 85 posts) will know that I try to provide useful advice to visitors to France.

Last edited:
Visit site
Rouon to Le Harare
Comes under maritime and not the, VNF. You could go for it in the dark but your nerves would be tested.
Unlit mooring posts, stuff floating around.
could you do half n half and pick up a mooring post, I suppose if it was a clear night with a good moon you'd be alright.
Do a search in posts for the Seine, opposite way but hey hoe.

Windy_Stu

Visit site
you are supposed to registrar with the Rouen port authority before you go on vhf 73... I asked the captianier at the marina "what happens if I just sneak out".... apparently its the guillotine ... i have decided to wait a few days more and go the "recommended" 3 hours before high water ... in the day light.... swmbo is a bit unwell so its prob a good idea to wait anyway, and forecast for channel looks a bit better mid next week as well :)

boatmike

Visit site
Just did this last month. You really must realise that you will have to fight a foul tide at Rouen for the first couple of hours even if like me you have 10-12knot capability. Its not so bad up at the top end where the tides are less fierce but if you miss the window and hit foul tide at the Le Havre end you wont make progress at all. If you get stuck on the last bit there is always the possibility of entering Le Havre by the back door through the canal de Tancarville (I think that's the right spelling but you will know what I mean). You need to check the lock opening times carefully though. Just don't leave late and fight the tide in the last stretch though. It can be downright impossible if you don't have a high powered MoBo.....

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Rouon to Le Harare
Comes under maritime and not the VNF. You could go for it in the dark but your nerves would be tested.
According to http://www.french-waterways.com/waterways/seine-basse.html and as I also understood it, hours of darkness are a no go, which makes it a bit of a bind late in the year.

[h=2]The Tidal Seine to Rouen[/h][FONT=&quot]In general terms this section is best travelled in one leg. There are key times for modestly powered craft to depart for both upstream and downstream journeys – and avoid the hours of darkness when pleasure traffic is prohibited.[/FONT]

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Well we are leaving at 07:00.... that should give us enough time.... just :) i think it should take 10-12 hrs and once we get passed Honfleur the dark is not so much a problem.... I hope :)

Visit site
The French Water ways.com is a great sauce of information and I took a lot from it, but night navigation bit of that part of the Seine is a bit grey.
This is taken from anouther europeanwaterways.com
"The Seine
The main river flows from Paris to Rouen called Basse Seine and continues as Seine maritime. That means, the Seine is after Rouen under tidal navigational rules".
It also says you need a licence to navigate the river.
I don't know if they meen the vinyet (deffinetly wrong spelling) witch you deffinetly do not need till the first lock going Chanel Paris direction or they mean your cevnet. I have not found a difinetive answer to the question but I entered going up stream before sunrise and had no problems but I wouldent like to do that first bit coming out of Rouen in the dark.

Last edited:

Windy_Stu

Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys... left at 07:00... 4hrs before high water Rouen.... first 3 hrs a bit of a grind... then as tide turned my mood improved... made if to Le Havre about 19:30... last bit the tide had turned again, but i think its mot as bad at the estuary end as at Rouen end.... worst bit was the on shore breeze made getting across from Honfleur to Le Harve a bit bumpy.. lots of reflections of the the harbour wall.... I should have gone further out but was knackered an not thinking clearly :)

boatmike

Visit site
A bit academic now you have done it but you obviously left at the right time and arrived safely. DONT assume the tide is stronger at Rouen than the estuary though It definitely isn't. That's why you need to fight the foul tide at the Rouen end as you did. If you had left 4 hours later and hit the full strength of the foul tide at the estuary you would have found yourself fighting up to 6 knots of tide..... You can also lock in at Honfleur at any state of tide if you want to if you arrive late.....