Rome

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to find out what the marina facilities are like within easy reach of Rome, both for in-season stays and wintering. We stayed for many months at Netter Italia on the Fumara Grande many years ago but it was very close to Fiumicino airport and noisy, and miles from anywhere, needing a car. The river was filthy - dead sheep, pigs, dogs, and basically yuk. Fiumicino was very commercial with no good faciltities for yachts. Is there a marina at Ostia with good public transport into Rome, or anywhere else that would get us into the city by train easily without having to use a car?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MapisM

Visit site
I never considered that area - actually, from the boating viewpoint there are much better places either north (Tuscany islands) or south (Naples gulf and islands) of it.
But you might find <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pagineazzurre.com>this</A> site interesting.
You just need to get by in Italian, they don't have english pages I'm afraid.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
Have you checked on www.noonsite.com? There was some stuff on there about Rome a while back, saying what a great place to overwinter it is. There is a new marina, and apparently they offer special rates for winter boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

Thank you, all, for your input. Wintering in Rome is very appealing - good cheap flights to the UK and easy access to the city. The crucial thing for us is being in a marina where we can easily walk to a decent shopping centre especially for good value and selection of foods. I'd be quite glad if there wasn't a decent restaurant for miles around, though :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nauticat42

Visit site
We have just left Rome having spent December and January in the marina in Ostia know as Porto Touristico di Roma.

The good things are it is cheap (under 10 Euros per day for 42ft inc electricity and water) and there is a thriving living aboard community with plenty of organised social activities from music to art to writing.

You have no need to worry about there being a decent restuarant too close by ... we didnt manage to find one anywhere closer than the centre of Rome some 20km distant.

The bad things were there is a near constant surge from the waves which break in the marina entrance and the weather during December and January was appalling..... cold wet and windy most of the time.

Shopping nearby is fairly inexpensive but the choices are fairly limited.

Two months there was enough for us ..... we have just made the 530 mile trip across to Barcelona to enjoy warm weather, good food, a calm berth and a clean thriving city with plenty going on.

It is a harsh thing to say but we felt being in Ostia was only marginally more appealing than wintering onboard in Croydon. The main consolation was the friendly group of 65 live aboards wintering in the marina.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bbilly

Visit site
I live in Rome and keep and have my boat on the hard at Fiumicino. In terms of connections to the city - which you don't want to miss - Ostia is the best choice. It's a 5 min. taxi ride from the airport Leonardo da Vinci (although most cheap flights land at Ciampino which is a €50 ride to Ostai). The metro from Ostia will get you to the city centre for €1. Ostia used to be a retreat for the uper middle class in the 20's and 30's so their are some interesting Liberty buildings on the seafront. It suffered decline after being built up in the 60's when many poorer families where relocated. It's having a revival in the last few years and now is an acceptable roman suburb. It's well equipped with nautical services and as I the city is very accessible. Could be OK for wintering but there is nowhere to go in a short time. When it warms ups you can go N or S. I prefer the S myself,it warms up quicker, there are magnificen islands to visit, Palmarola, Ponza, Capri, Ischia and the Costa Amalfitana.

If I can help drop me a PM and I try and assist

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

Thank you all, that has been a great help. I am reminded of my late mother who said of their 18 months on the Fumara Grande that those were without doubt the most miserable days of her life. I too, love the islands around Naples and to the south but I was thinking of flights to/from the UK as well as security, company, something worthwhile to do, and cost. But then everyone is in the same position!

So far, Barcelona has had the greatest number of positive comments and the fewest negative comments.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gregs

Visit site
The new marina in Ostia - Porto Turistico di Roma is really fantastic. We wintered there (living aboard for a spell, then returning back & forward on cheap flights to London) last year. There is large group of cruisers who live aboard - mainly called "Med Net". They were really organised, had VHF meetings in the mornings, Sunday get togethers and all the cruisers contributed to our own 'Yellow Pages' as everybody found various bits (anything from video libraries to anti fouling). The marina has an excellent chandlery, bars, restaurants, shops, 24 hour CCTV security, washing machines, excellent shower blocks, friendly staff (who speak english) and topped off by being located 15min from Fiumincino Airport. rome centre is also easy to get to (and only 55c).
We liked it so much that we bought a berth there. Our boat is now in Malta and we're heading to the Adriatic, so it's available for long or short term and I would like to rent it so I'm offering it cheaper than the Port. It comes with a a car parking space if you'd like to rent or buy a cheap car for your stay. Please email me if you are interested: greg@jacksonsbayretreat.co.nz
Regards
Greg Saynor

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

Greg - thank you for that information. I will keep a note of your email and might take you up on that sometime in the future.

<hr width=100% size=1>