Rolling up the Genoa - Problem

hebdena

Visit site
Fellow forumites,

For some reason I can not roll up the genoa without a small gap in the anti UV strip appearing towards the end of the roll. After tying up I am often to be seen rolling and unrolling the genoa trying to get all the sail covered. This is very frustrating! Any tips anyone?

Regards...............Andy

G

[ QUOTE ]
Fellow forumites,

For some reason I can not roll up the genoa without a small gap in the anti UV strip appearing towards the end of the roll. After tying up I am often to be seen rolling and unrolling the genoa trying to get all the sail covered. This is very frustrating! Any tips anyone?

Regards...............Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you keep a little tension on the sheets when furling ? so that it rolls reasonably tight. It sounds as though you may be furling too slack and the diameter of the sail furled is getting too great.

Another reason my be that the sail was not cut / made for your boat and is at wrong angle on stay / gear ... so the furl is out of balance with leech angle ..... making the sail roll out of line.

shmoo

Visit site
The leech tensioning string is off isn't it? We are always rolling our genny up with it still on tight (by mistake) then having to unroll it, unfasten the string then roll up again.

(I am sure I am using the wrong terms here, but you know what I mean)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Put your foot on a sheet when you roll it up, let a little go at a time to keep the tension on it. It will roll much tighter, eliminate the "Barber's Pole effect" and offer less resistance to the wind when on a mooring or motoring.

Visit site
I used to get problems with a new high aspect genoa with stiff sail cloth but a low aspect Rival rig should not create a problem. Have you got the car in a min/max position?