Rochefort for the winter?

Visit site
I was thinking of spending 3-4 of the coldest winter months south of Brittany, for the climate mainly, to have a chance of getting my boat painted and varnished. I've done it in Lorient before which worked out well, but I don't like retracing my steps
Rochefort looks attractive and sheltered, and has been personally recommended by someone here who knows the area.
Has anyone done similar? The more I read the better it sounds. Thanks for any real world experiences good or bad . Preferably bad, because I can't see any particular setbacks..

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We’ve been there in the winter, but not by boat.

It’s an attractive town with an excellent market. The moorings all look pretty secure from the weather. Nothing bad to say about the place. Sorry. But it can get cold in winter.

EU_Cruiser

eucruiserelle.blogspot.com
Rochefort is lovely today after some gusty breezes and pretty warm weather but the cliffs are protecting us from the worst of the late afternoon sun and it sounds like a thunderstorm building up so maybe cooler tonight.
We are, of course, talking about Rochefort-sur-Nenon on the River Doubs in north-east France, aren't we?
;-)

DownWest

Visit site
The area gets a slightly better climate than you might expect. Being halfway down France, it is under the Cornish /Brittany wet, but above the extremes of the Spanish/French border in the South, caused by the mountains.
Last winter was quite mild, negative for the odd day and a dusting of snow a couple of times. Been a lot worse in the past. 'Bout 10yrs ago, it was -10° for a few days.
But then, it was 42° a couple of weeks ago.
Right now, rare showers, some sun and low 20s

goeasy123

Visit site
Natalie in the office speaks reasonable English.
Andrew Eckford, local Brit engineer is very handy to know.
They have a funky crane. You need to take your backstay off. Also, check the weight limit before you go.
Walking distance to train station (200mtr).... short trip and bus hop to La Rochelle airport with flights to UK airports.
Handy boulangerie in the far corner.... does take-away lunches.

dancrane

Visit site
We are, of course, talking about Rochefort-sur-Nenon on the River Doubs in north-east France, aren't we?

Surely we're not? Are we?

I visited Rochefort occasionally, fifteen years ago, in winter. It never occurred to me to be climatically advantaged, compared with anywhere on the British south coast.