RNLI sexism scandal: female volunteer ‘was called a bitch on rescue missions’

oldgit

Visit site
Welcome to civil society and women's suffrage 1823 1923 2023
Men afraid of losing their ground ?

Last edited:

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I'm sure there are stil one or two lifeboat stations where attitudes like that persist One station near me has only allowed women on the crew within the last couple of years.

That was nothing to do with the crew themselves, that was down to the volunteer Lifeboat Operations Manager, who was a former crew member himself.

He felt that women shouldn't go to sea, and so had been quietly binning any applications from females wanting to join.

Although the media keeps banging on about over- bearing and intrusive management within the RNLI, it's actually a lack of managerial input from HQ that allowed this to happen. Until a few years ago, a Coxswain or LOM could run his (and it invariably was his) station as a personal fiefdom. His rules, he decided who joined his crew and how the station was run, and anyone who didn't toe his line was out the door.

It was only when these attitudes started to be addressed more forcefully a few years ago, and one or two people were asked to stand down, that the media started taking an interest. Although the reasons given in the news stories were often a very long way from the truth.

No names, no pack drill. But I'm sure a few spring to mind.

Last edited: