RNLI 2013 accounts : highlights

Sybarite

Visit site
Reserves have increased by £49 million to £661 million.

Income for the year £191m
Total resources expended £153m
Net incoming resources for the year £38m

Lifeboat additions in the year £11.6 million (less disposals £4.5 million).
Lifeboat depreciaton in the year £11.7m

Pension fund liabilities to :

• employees : £281m
• dependents £ 6m
• Total up £16.5m in the year.

Market value of investments £279m.

Visit site
You've criticised the RNLI's finances in the past.

Estimates of the cash reserves alone of the Catholic Church put them at €50 billion. Add the other assets and there's a fair few bob there as well......... but as the accounts are never published we'll just have to rely on estimates.

I'm glad that the RNLI is well financed.

Sybarite

Visit site
You've criticised the RNLI's finances in the past.

Estimates of the cash reserves alone of the Catholic Church put them at €50 billion. Add the other assets and there's a fair few bob there as well......... but as the accounts are never published we'll just have to rely on estimates.

I'm glad that the RNLI is well financed.

It takes you to add a kick at the Catholic Church on a post relating to the RNLI accounts. Please note that I made no comment.

Visit site
There was no need for you to comment. You have commented critically about RNLI in the past.
My point, as you well know, is that there are vast sums sloshing around elsewhere which far exceed those of the RNLI

As I have said before, I think RNLI does a great job and I am delighted that people continue to be happy to donate to it.

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Sybarite, why do you have a problem with the RNLI? Personally I am pleased that they can invest in the latest tech and so on, that staff have a pension scheme and that they will continue to provide a FREE service to all of us.

Surely there is another cause more worthy of your sniping?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
This is an annual resurrection of sybarite's quarrel with the RNLI. He would like the RNLI to be run as a government department is run, with any spare money sent back to the Treasury at the end of the financial year. He can't get to grips with the fact that the RNLI is not part of government and therefore manages it's finances in a different manner, where it has to ensure that there is enough money to continue its operations, replace and maintain its fleet and pay it's employees in the uncertain face of continued public support. The Charity Commissioners have never questioned the RNLI business model, as they understand what the reserves are for.

I will continue to watch this from the sidelines and to contribute to the RNLI.

Mark-1

Visit site
The Charity Commissioners have never questioned the RNLI business model, as they understand what the reserves are

That might be wrong. I have a vague recollection the Charities Commission requested the RNLI spend a chunk of reserves a while back.

Sybarite

Visit site
Sybarite, why do you have a problem with the RNLI? Personally I am pleased that they can invest in the latest tech and so on, that staff have a pension scheme and that they will continue to provide a FREE service to all of us.

Where have I sniped? I only quoted figures in their official accounts.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
This is an annual resurrection of sybarite's quarrel with the RNLI. He would like the RNLI to be run as a government department is run, with any spare money sent back to the Treasury at the end of the financial year. He can't get to grips with the fact that the RNLI is not part of government and therefore manages it's finances in a different manner, where it has to ensure that there is enough money to continue its operations, replace and maintain its fleet and pay it's employees in the uncertain face of continued public support. The Charity Commissioners have never questioned the RNLI business model, as they understand what the reserves are for.

I will continue to watch this from the sidelines and to contribute to the RNLI.

I think that a lot of people believe that when you are contributing to the RNLI that you are helping them to buy lifeboats. When you see that they made a £49m "profit" in a year when they spent a net £7m on boats... and that they have £661m in reserves.....

This said, they only have 32 people earning more than £60k this year compared with 37 last year. Perhaps they are looking at the thread?

Last edited:

haydude

Visit site

He is not the only one: it is a charity, managers should not get paid more than the average salary in the UK. It is offensive to all of us that they are paid quarter million pounds per year. If they have all those money , why did they not join the search for cheeky rafiki lost men?

Last edited:

wrr

Visit site
A well-heeled boat owner once asked me what he would get for his Offshore membership fee (contribution less than the cost of one fender on his boat). He went to some lengths to point out that, since all the other idiots like me paid for the service, he would be rescued anyway. This bumptious tirade ceased when I suggested that his membership might give him the right to look 5 men and women in the eye after they had put their lives on the line to help him.
Great to see the RNLI funding continuing to guarantee the future of one of the proudest traditions of these small islands.

Sybarite

Visit site
A well-heeled boat owner once asked me what he would get for his Offshore membership fee (contribution less than the cost of one fender on his boat). He went to some lengths to point out that, since all the other idiots like me paid for the service, he would be rescued anyway. This bumptious tirade ceased when I suggested that his membership might give him the right to look 5 men and women in the eye after they had put their lives on the line to help him.
Great to see the RNLI funding continuing to guarantee the future of one of the proudest traditions of these small islands.

Let me point out that I have never ever criticized the brave volunteers who man the boats. I have criticized the over-heavy administrative structure of the RNLI pointing out that other models exist - such as the SNSM where their operating budget is 1/8th that of the RNLI and whose total employees (70) correspond to the increase in 2013 of the RNLI's employees (1670).

Resolution

Visit site
RNLI provides a service to us who sail for which we should be very grateful - and hope never to have to use.
But it is right that any of the millions of persons who fund the RNLI should be entitled to inspect how their money is spent. Sybarite has done that and disagrees with what has been going on. Good for him to come out and say so (even if he has had to do so a but indirectly).
Now it should be for the rest of us, IF we also contribute to the funding, to see whether we agree with Sybarite or not.
Personally I see some warning signs of an institution moving towards self-agrandisment (sp?) but not yet enough to outweigh the good that they do.

dogleg

Visit site
He is not the only one: it is a charity, managers should not get paid more than the average salary in the UK. It is offensive to all of us that they are paid quarter million pounds per year. If they have all those money , why did they not join the search for cheeky rafiki lost men?

2013 annual report highest salary is between 130 and 139k two other salaries over 100k

as the CK I think the answer is obvious

Visit site
Let me point out that I have never ever criticized the brave volunteers who man the boats. I have criticized the over-heavy administrative structure of the RNLI pointing out that other models exist - such as the SNSM where their operating budget is 1/8th that of the RNLI and whose total employees (70) correspond to the increase in 2013 of the RNLI's employees (1670).

Where have I sniped? I only quoted figures in their official accounts.

Man speak with forked tongue.