RLM Marine Ltd. Info/history help

Fromagegrande

Visit site
I've had enough of seawater cooled power packs. I'm an absolute novice to the inland system and still have doubts but I've now sourced a RLM 33 with twin Leyland 2.5's. Don't know anything else about them but will try and see them next week. Thanks v much for the heads up

ElJames

Visit site
I have a mate with a RLM 31 Bahama with 2.5 B M C /Leyland engines broke a blade over the weekend we cannot find the size of the props it is used on costal and tidal waters any help would be helpful and is there any second hand parts for the Enfield legs anywhere

thanks Jim

Last edited:

Disassemble

Visit site
I have a mate with a RLM 31 Bahama with 2.5 B M C /Leyland engines broke a blade over the weekend we cannot find the size of the props it is used on costal and tidal waters any help would be helpful and is there any second hand parts for the Enfield legs anywhere

thanks Jim
Try Chertsey Meads Marine Hire, located on the Thames at Chertsey.

Visit site
Hi Guys, I am Steve, the owner of ARCTIC FOX, the RLM Entice. I have owned the boat since 2003. "Old Boat Builder" are you still active on this forum? I am keen to learn more about the days of production of RLM boats at Penton Hook. I hope you are able to reply soon! Arctic Fox is still in tip top condition and continues to give us hours of pleasure on the River Medway. Not sure how to attach a few pictures or I would do so! I am again thinking of starting an RLM owners club to bring together and pool experiences and knowledge of these great boats. I am not a new member, I just forgot my password and had to reset it!

Actionmat

Visit site
There is an episode of The Sweeney, where they chase through the boat yard at Penton Hook when RLM's are being built in the 70's. Sorry, can't name the episode but the IMDB database or Google may bear fruit

Visit site
Hi, yes if you check back through the old threads, I mentioned this in an early post. We have the Sweeney box set that includes this episode. It only last a few seconds! There are many other episodes that include Penton Hook marina but not the RLM production. It is a shame that it appears nobody has any photographs of inside the old blue hanger when RLM production was under way! In an early post, the chap "Old Boat Builder" explained how he worked at the RLM factory for the whole of its 1967 to 1982 history. He would be getting on a bit now as he was already working in 1967. I recently visited Penton Hook as the guys at the Trim shop do some work for me on canopies and covers etc. They were working on a strange looking RLM that I had not seen before called "Waverley Thames". I had a look at the boat which is in a pretty sorry state. It is about 31 feet long but not a Bahama or Entice. Very pointy with a hump on the cabin roof. Not a pretty boat! Apparently Ronald Leslie Maskell, the owner of RLM built this boat for his own use.

Visit site
Just read all the posts here as I’m a proud RLM 32 Entice owner, currently on the hard standing at Penton Hook not 25m away from where she was built in the old hanger.
I tried to start up a RLM owners club back in 2002 but no interest – I’ve learned loads about the boat since and I’ve upgraded her a number of time since I’ve owned her – she’s going through another upgrade now.

Original built as the John William in 1976, she was after a time sold to a Company that made electric motors and her name changed to Electro Mare. The latter had her moored in Poole Harbour for some time and then sold her to me in July 1999 – I changed her name to Ecquitee because I took money from the house to buy it and the original Equity was already Pt1.

She has Kemp, fully planning V hull used for the around Britain Powerboat Races in the 60’s. RLM originally fitted 2.5 BMC’s with Enfield drives, I changed the engines in 2001 to Peugeot 1.7 Turbo diesels still on Enfield’s. The Enfield‘s were very ‘brittle’ when it came to the steering arms, OK for rivers and canals but not reliable enough for Estuary or indeed, coastal work with a nearly 8T boat. In 2004 I bought a pair of Volvo 290’s complete and married these to the Peugeot’s – a good and very reliable match until in 2011 I found a pair of Volvo AD41’s c/w 290 DP drives. Just like the Peugeot’s they were completely stripped, assessed and re-assembled with new parts fitted where required. WOW! I’ve never powered up her beyond 30 knots – but there’s lots left.

I’ve upgraded and re-configured the Saloon over time, refurbished (removed) the wooden wheelhouse, complete rewire and now I’ve just replaced some of the Eroko handrails and I’m TekDek-ing the walkways and bathing platform.

I’ve had this boat in all weathers and I must say it’s kept us safe – We’ve stayed faithful to her as she’s been to us. What a great boat.
Hi There this is Steve of Arctic Fox, are you still visiting this forum?

linloudr

Visit site
Hi There Ecquitee, are you still around with that wonderful RLM?

Not Ecquitee but we are novices and are currently setting up a survey for an RLM Entice 32 (aft cabin). In looking for some history about the boat, the company itself or other owners this thread is pretty much all that came up online. Should we go ahead, I would be pleased to have a contact or two for an occasional hand hold (or a "What happens if I pull this?"). Enjoyed reading the information here so far, thank you.

Visit site
Hi There Linloudr,
What you see in this very long thread is just about all there is about the history of RLM. I have most of the brochures for the boats and some nice magazine adverts and articles from the early years of RLMs. We are friends with some other RLM owners and are thinking of starting an owners club as there has never been one. Takes a lot of effort though to get it started and I have lots of other things to do! Dont do much on forums like this so I am not sure how to exchange details without publishing them on line. If you ask the organizers, I will be happy to pass you my email etc so that we can freely exchange info.
Regards
Steve

RIP Clive B

Visit site
Hi all you RLM fans. I might be able to shed some light regarding Old Boat Builder. My father, who sadly passed away recently, was one of the craftsman mentioned earlier, who worked for many years in the White Hanger at P. Hook. If I could be of any help regarding history etc of RLM, I would be honoured to pass on in memory of my dad. RIP Clive B