River Ore/Butley

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Quite likely it is what one local person called it long ago when asked by the surveyor doing that bit of the first Ordnance Survey map. (Alternatively, it may have been taken off a preceding enclosure or estate map that could have had equally arbitrary names.) Once it's written down somewhere 'authoritative', it gets forever re-circulated in that form and becomes the norm.

Whether that local person called it that because it was the way it was generally referred to locally, or not, we'll probably never know.

Note how many rivers are called 'River Avon', when avon means river. You can just imagine some local humouring the visiting surveyor when he asks 'What's this river called?', by smiling to himself and answering 'River' in the local dialect. Probably had a laugh about it with his mates later.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
It is interesting stuff, I remember reading examples of land/places etc that were originally guessed at when the original map writers were at it. Altered language and dialects.
I imagine this river was originally called The Butley River as I direction off the Ore as it is tiny with little land references except Butley village.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Yes, i am aware that locally it is called Butley Creek. However my Admiralty chart and my Ordnance Survey map and Navionics charts and Wikipedia and Visit-my-Harbour and many other internet sources all use Butley River but all refer to, for example, the River Ore.......... I agree, whatever you call it, it is lovely.

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

It's a local river for local people. If you're a local you know to call it Butley Creek, tells us who the outsiders are see :D

Other threads that may be of interest