River levels; other inland waterways

macnorton

Visit site
As this forum is also for "other inland waterways" and all the recent flood posts are about the Thames how are the river levels in your non Thames area.

East Midlands and Anglian; all flooded.

sailorman

Visit site
do you remember when farmers left their fields ploughed over the winter & sowed the corn in the spring. Rather than now when sowing is done in the autumn & the fields are flat & all the water runs off in to the rivers.
where did it all go wrong do you think :rolleyes:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Quite low on this canal.

BANK-620_1625016a.jpg

watson1959

Visit site
do you remember when farmers left their fields ploughed over the winter & sowed the corn in the spring. Rather than now when sowing is done in the autumn & the fields are flat & all the water runs off in to the rivers.

Ouch thats a great post for the Lounge! Should 'stimulate some debate':cool:

DWT

Visit site
A couple of years ago the flooding was apparently EA's fault for not managing the river properly, now it's the farmers. Personally I blame the BBC. It seems to be their turn at the moment.

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
SSA on the Great Ouse

Strong Stream Advice is currently in force on the River Great Ouse between Earith and Bedford.

Locks are closed to navigation and in use for flood relief - ie gates are open at both ends.

macnorton

Visit site

Lots of feilds are now under concrete?

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Acording to waterscape the river severn is closed

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages/results?waterways[]=74%20&%20search_data_by[]=stoppage&start_day=19&start_month=7&start_year=2012&end_period=all&end_day=19&end_month=7&end_year=2012&subtn=+Find+Stoppages+
Stoppage: River Severn
22 Nov 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: South Wales & Severn Waterways

UPDATE (22 November 2012): Due to High Water Levels the River Severn is now closed until further notice.

Canal and River Trust apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

For Further information please call Gloucester Lock on 01452 310832

Alpha22

Visit site
I only have to look out of the bedroom windows.

River Gt Ouse is over the banks in St Neots and covering the park. Almost up to my back garden!!!!

Golden Time

Visit site
River Witham is closed to navigation between the Brayford Pool and Stamp End Lock.

My boat deck is a foot above the pontoon instead of 2" below it in the Brayford Pool. Which is crazy to see. I'm so used to stepping down into my boat.

Downstream of Stamp End Sluice I would imagine the lock approach to be like river rapids.

oldgit

Visit site
Last edited:

Golden Time

Visit site
8450E59B-0137-4E4A-ADB8-F6C4C7F12992-251-0000000D32DD44F2_zps76ea30ef.jpg

AD390C1F-5A34-4634-B858-0457123763D2-251-0000000D3F3A3FE2_zpsbb7cb48d.jpg

This is the scene at the Brayford Pool.

My boat in the first picture is sitting way high compared to the pontoon. Normally the rubbing strip sits 2" below the walkway.

Don't know the story with the second pic. The static pontoon to the left of the boat sits a lot lower than my pontoon so would have been underwater a long time before mine.

Down at the lock, the water is the same level on both sides.

sarabande

Visit site

umm, I think that if you have an arable crop established by November, it will hold heavy rain better than a bare ploughed field.

Part of the problem may be that with more powerful tractors, it is possible to turn furrows, whatever the slope, along the longest (and most economical axis of the field) rather than undertaking contour ploughing which was just about the only way with a smaller tractor. Contours hold water better.

Deleted User will know more about that than me.

Still, it is always a good ruse to blame the farmers, rather than the Environment(al) Agency, the Water companies (for wanting saturated fields to replenish the aquifers), the RSPB (for causing the Somerset levels and other low-lying areas to be kept full in autmn and winter so that peole can go and spend Sundays looking at ducky-wucks) and construction industry for concreting or tarmacing the lanscape willy-nilly. Oh, how I larf !

Momac

Visit site
Down at the lock, the water is the same level on both sides.

Looking at the EA website the level has started to fall.
Let's hope for no more significant rain for the rest of the week.

It's a shame the marina didn't slacken the ropes on the boat that has sunk. Looking at the picture I think it is moored quite close to the marina office ?