River Humber

tinkicker0

Visit site
Looks like I may be relocating to the Humber next season subject to viewing a berth this afternoon. Don't want to go into it with my eyes closed and only really experienced on quiet inland waters; although I do have my ICC inland and coastal, so a few questions if I may.

1. Where on't tinterweb might I find a copy of the rules and regs for the Humber?

2. Where might I find a suitable boating guide?

3. Prior planning is obviously a pre requisite for trips out and about on the estuary if one is to go about it responsibly, this requires an up to date chart from APB. How often do you need to update it?

4. VHF channel for Goole ocean lock? Is it manned or a DIY operation ect?

5. Never been through a lock before and my boat being a glorified soapdish does not have midship cleats or sidedecks, could this be a problem hooking onto the drop cables, or does the lock have bollards?
I find the idea of negotiating the lock a bit disconcerting.

6. Lock open 3 hours before and after high water, during this time is there any significant risk of grounding anywhere with a 1 metre draft, providing I am sensible and stay away from the inside of the bends?

7. Where does the 10 knot speed limit end and unregulated limit start?

8. Have VHF, have lifejackets, GPS, compass ect, no flares yet. Anything else I should have aboard?

9. Suitable places to anchor away?

No doubt loads of questions but those will do for now. I expect the first few trips will be a disconcerting, but I am looking forward to pushing the throttle forward a bit.
Need to go a pitch down on the prop too as I have overpropped it for inland use.

Last edited:

tinkicker0

Visit site

moonraker 36

Visit site
cruised the humber a few times.i really like the river.
it can change quite quickly from flat clam to ho my god...with just rounding a corner.
although i'm not trying to put you off you just need to be aware of the weather.
i always stick pritty close to the marked chanels but give he ships plenty of room when i encounter them.its a great river you will enjoy it.
can recommend grimsby crusing club @fish dock island(£1.30 a pint).

http://www.hcagrimsby.co.uk/

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I think the website you have been given answers most of your questions.

You can update he Humber chart off the ABP website - there is spreadsheet with the buoy positions an also there are notices to mariners. The Humber is surveyed almost constantly and the charts are reprinted every couple of months. But you can just update an older chart.
So thereis no point in buying a Humber chart for the section between the Apex light and the Humber Bridge until just before you intend to make your first trip.

Goole Ocean lock is huge as it is designed for large ships . There is no scope to get a rope on for leisure boats - you just have to hovver ! It sound scary but it must be the easiest lock of all.
Goole is a manned lock - you can't operate any of the tidal locks yourself. You will be charged by Goole lock if outside normal hours.
If you are looking at a mooring at Goole why not walk down to the lock and have a look at it.

The ''Trent Series'' charts are useful/necessary for the Ouse and the Trent.

Keadby lock, off the Trent, is relatively small and tricky.

There is no speed restriction on Ouse below Goole and on the Trent below Gainsborough bridge.

malc60

Visit site
the humber

I,ve lived near the humber all my life, my boats over the years have travelled miles on it but i must say, keep an up todate chart by you at all times, it has changed dramatically over the last five years, i,m not on it now,moved on, it is good and bad, when wind is against tide,get ready for thick brown nasty water coming over your bridge,very limited to where to go really, Hull is good marina with everything you would want, a good experience you will enjoy the challenge

tinkicker0

Visit site
I was at Hull Marina for a few years. It's o.k., but if I were you I'd be trying to get in at Grimsby.

Then you're straight out to sea and there's a lot less to worry about!

Just accepted a berth at Goole Boathouse as it is a freshwater mooring with the Aire and Calder Navigation at one end and Goole Ocean Lock onto the Humber at the other. No need for messing about with anodes ect and the engine gets a good flush out when returning to the dock from the river.

Annual berthing fee inc VAT is just over 40% of the price that York would have been charging me this year :eek:

Although York is a lot more upmarket and exceptionally pretty, Goole Boathouse is also quite picturesque in its own way, so a bit of a no brainer really.

Oh and it's only 14 miles from home. :D

Last edited:

moonraker 36

Visit site
Just accepted a berth at Goole Boathouse as it is a freshwater mooring with the Aire and Calder Navigation at one end and Goole Ocean Lock onto the Humber at the other. No need for messing about with anodes ect and the engine gets a good flush out when returning to the dock from the river.

Annual berthing fee inc VAT is just over 40% of the price that York would have been charging me this year :eek:

Although York is a lot more upmarket and exceptionally pretty, Goole Boathouse is also quite picturesque in its own way, so a bit of a no brainer really.

welldone @ getting in at goole..i enquired last year and was told they had a very long waiting list.

tinkicker0

Visit site
welldone @ getting in at goole..i enquired last year and was told they had a very long waiting list.

5 years ago when I first got Moondancer I enquired at Goole Boathouse and was told there was a 3 year waiting list.
Perhaps it was my charming manner :D

Viking Marina across the pond is full however.

Just been measuring up on Google earth and its a full 50 miles to the open sea :eek: That's a damn big river. Won't be going to sea as I may make it there and back with no fuel reserve but with tides ect........:eek:

Can't wait for next season now and only a week ago I was thinking of laying the boat up next season.
Funny how things can change so quickly.

I owe MartinG a drink for giving me the tip, always had it in my head that Goole Boathouse was actually Viking.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Humber

I have been on the Humber for four months while keeping the boat at Brough - bless you Humber Yawl Club.

I do a fair amount of low tide sailing and the channel has moved around a bit since mid summer

In quiet weather and at neap tides the currents are no more powerful than I found on the Orwell. With the springs it does lick around a fair bit. My boat does 6 knots and I always feel that I can either beat the tide or at least get out to one side where it will be running a bit slower.

The banks are wonderful - brilliant wildlife, lots of winter migrants.

There are quite a few hidey holes where one can safely drop an anchor - the Humber Mud gets a good grip on a hook.

I have bought a 30 day license to explore the rivers as far as leeds and York and maybe to Brigg. It looks like a river system that has a lot to offer in terms of beauty and variety. I hope to be staying on the river until mid summer

some-one somewhere should film it one day

Dylan

djs

www.uniquesolutions.co.uk
Hi Tinkicker
I keep my boat at Viking just over the canal from Goole Boathouse.
On my first trip up the Humber/ Ouse I was paranoid about missing the lock plus i seriously underestimated the tidal lift ( we averaged about 10kts from Spurn point) and consequently arrived a couple of hours before high water (on springs) at Ocean lock. There is a strong eddy line across the entrance which caused us some grief. Grace weights 17 tonne but it spun us like a kayak. However Second time up we timed it right and arriving at near HW slack it was as easy as could be.
There are no vertical lines in the lock and the bollards are well back so if you are going to put on lines you need long ones.
Ocean lock listen on ch14.
I have heard that one regulation is that you are required to have two people on board to use the lock, and navigate the Ouse. I have never checked this as I have no intention of singlehanding here.
It looks like there are plenty of live aboards at the boathouse ( there are at Viking) so once you're there you'll no doubt get the local knowledge.

Regarding charts: I bought up to date charts for the whole humber and ouse before my first trip up. Having done the trip 3 times now I'd prob just buy the chart for apex light down to the Humber bridge. This section is continually surveyed and new charts are published every two or three months.
As already mentioned you can download the charts from the ABP site. They are good enough res to see on iPad but not to print.

I hope the new berth works out. Maybe see you around there sometime?
Dave

carlton

Visit site

Ah - I'm too late... again. :rolleyes:

At least you'll be in a position to get her up on the plane good 'n proper.

Which is a remarkable result in itself. Mooring cost savings should go nicely towards the fuel bill. ;)

Sounds good all round.

PilotWolf

Visit site
cruised the humber a few times.i really like the river.
it can change quite quickly from flat clam to ho my god...with just rounding a corner.
although i'm not trying to put you off you just need to be aware of the weather.
i always stick pritty close to the marked chanels but give he ships plenty of room when i encounter them.its a great river you will enjoy it.
can recommend grimsby crusing club @fish dock island(£1.30 a pint).

http://www.hcagrimsby.co.uk/

I'd second that! I think that we have tried to drink them dry on a few occasions :)

Only downside is that most of the time the bar is staffed by members so only open if there is a full paid up member available to run it.

I believe the member actually own the marina so the profits from the club go back into reducing their berthing costs.

W.

tinkicker0

Visit site
what did you reckon to S ferriby TK?

Never got there to view as the offer at Goole turned up at the same time and is much closer to home.
Also had some concerns about the length of the mooring platforms on the photos I looked at.

I don't have midships cleats fitted on my boat and it may have been a problem tying up securely, although it does look a very pretty spot.

Goole have full length pontoon berth fingers just like the ones at York, so no problems with tying up.

We were going to view Goole and South Ferriby yesterday afternoon but in the end Goole seemed too good an offer to miss.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Hi Tinkicker
I keep my boat at Viking just over the canal from Goole Boathouse.
On my first trip up the Humber/ Ouse I was paranoid about missing the lock plus i seriously underestimated the tidal lift ( we averaged about 10kts from Spurn point) and consequently arrived a couple of hours before high water (on springs) at Ocean lock. There is a strong eddy line across the entrance which caused us some grief. Grace weights 17 tonne but it spun us like a kayak. However Second time up we timed it right and arriving at near HW slack it was as easy as could be.
There are no vertical lines in the lock and the bollards are well back so if you are going to put on lines you need long ones.
Ocean lock listen on ch14.
I have heard that one regulation is that you are required to have two people on board to use the lock, and navigate the Ouse. I have never checked this as I have no intention of singlehanding here.
It looks like there are plenty of live aboards at the boathouse ( there are at Viking) so once you're there you'll no doubt get the local knowledge.

Regarding charts: I bought up to date charts for the whole humber and ouse before my first trip up. Having done the trip 3 times now I'd prob just buy the chart for apex light down to the Humber bridge. This section is continually surveyed and new charts are published every two or three months.
As already mentioned you can download the charts from the ABP site. They are good enough res to see on iPad but not to print.

I hope the new berth works out. Maybe see you around there sometime?
Dave

Perhaps so, just look for someone cruising past with a look of abject panic on their face and an atmosphere of impending doom following close behind.

Another indicator would be the boat pottering by on a lovely clear sunny day with a storm cloud complete with lightning and intense rain hovering above it.

:D