Rival 34 Stern Gland

G

Our stern gland behind a Bukh engine is virtually inaccessible. We are considering replacing it with an oil filled gland which is maintenance free but are nervous that a failure might be catastrophic compared to a conventional stuffing box.

An alternative is to go with the conventional stern gland but try to put an access maintenance hatch throught the port cockpit locker.

Does anyone have experience or ideas? Would be gratefully received.

G

Bought a boat with a oil lubricated stern gland, (Ambasador marine i think) a year ago and up to now think that it`s brilliant not a drop of water in the boat,does not use any oil but belive that it needs changing from time to time.

G

Stern Glands

I have had deep sea seals on my last two boats. The present one is coming up to its 10th year, and I am looking at replacements. Hallyard have withdrawn the pss shaft seal, leaving little choice. My brother has a volvo seal fitted to his, which is also maintainance free. I was impressed by its construction, and will probably go that way. It's worth a look.

G

Re: Stern Glands

Pity Hallyard dont make there seal anymore, it was excellent but got very expensive which is why they dont make it now. I agree with your comments, I would try the VOLVO one.