Rival 32 window trim

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I want to install (not replace; never existed) the window trims on the boat. The simplest easy I can see to do it would be to find some flexible wood-effect strip the width of the window reveal to run around the reveal; and then to use a router to create the surround with a slight hockey stick inside profile, to cover the reveal join, and a round edged profile outside.

Problem is the round corners. There are three different sizes of windows and each has their own radius. Thus I can't make one simple jig, and anyway I'm not sure my fat fingers could cope with that amount of fiddle!

Interweb searches are unhelpful but I can't be the first to do this. What have others done?

PS I know there are no windows on a boat, but as they don't open I can't call them portlights and the correct term escapes me🙂

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Did it, bigger Rival. Use paper and crayon to mark out the window profile by rubbing along edge after sticking paper to overlap window. Then use this as a template to make router jigs. Then cut the wood to suit.

Sounds easy but it requires a bit of thought. I did all the curves separately and glued them to the straights.

In my case the coach roof sides were the same thickness as the frame i.e. the frame did not protrude beyond the GRP cut out.

In your case, if I understand correctly, your frames protrude so you need the profile cut into the new frame. Still it’s easy to do, once you have the rubbed template.

Good luck. It really is worth it.

An idea. You can buy iron on teak veneer strip, about 50mm width, maybe also 25 mm width, from Robins Timber. Make the frame out if low cost ply, then iron on teak strip, sticks very well, use a Stanley knife to cut flush. I have used it on 5mm trim and cut back, looks good, easy to use.