rig tension

squidge

Visit site
I would like to adjust the rake on my mast but as i have never touched anything larger than a big dinghy i am a little apprehensive about a 40ft mast.
My boat is faster on one tack that the other and i know that i should be able to point higher.This makes me suspect that the mast is two far forward and has greater tension on one side.My question is how do i check that the tension is even and not over tight as i do not want to break something.
PS its 10mm s/s cable.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
leo_Man_dobbert.gif

boatless

Visit site
Most boats seem faster on one tack because it's very difficult to have the log perfectly aligned. Mast fwd/back; how much weather helm do you get with everything trimmed perfectly?

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

bedouin

Visit site
If the tension on one side is greater than the other then the Mast will not be upright. This is easy to check by using the main halyard to make sure that the top of the mast is equidistant from the toerail on either side of the boat

<hr width=100% size=1>

racingron

Visit site
There are some great books which cover this - I would recommend Iver Dedekam's "Sail and Rig tuning".

For a start see if the rig's straight (port and starboard in the boat). Do this using a halyard which comes out of the middle of the mast (maybe the main) and (under tension) check that it's the same distance to the gunnel on both sides at right angles to the mast foot.

Is the rig straight? Sight up from the gooseneck using the main track as a guide - is there an S in the rig? Do this when under sail as well (close hauled ideally).

These things should give you an idea of where you are at the moment. I'm a little loathe to recommend tightening or slacking the rig without seeing or sailing on the boat - be careful of advice - if you get it wrong the rig could be lost.

Find out if it's straight first, if it's miles out I would recommend getting a good rigger or sailmaker to look at it for you. If it's close and your only tweaking (i.e. a turn here and a turn there) proceed with caution and only do a very small amount at a time.

What kind of rig is it and what kind of boat?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vara

Visit site
Selden masts<A target="_blank" HREF=http://seldenmast.com/>http://seldenmast.com/</A> have manuals on web site which cover this topic so simple even I can under stand them,Ive tryed to post site address but I cant make the link work.
PM me with your E mail and I will attempt to send file as attachment no gtee that this will work either/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>If it can't be fixed with a lump hammer dont fit it!

rwoofer

Visit site
Having only ever done dinghies myself, I recently just tried to do my 50 foot mast. I was a bit apprehensive, but now having done it, I realise it really is no more difficult than a dinghy - just takes longer.

The secret for me was to be very methodical and do things in a certain order. Mine was a twin spreader masthead rig with forward lowers rather than a baby stay - happy to share the order if yours is the same.

RB

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Thanks, the boat is a Moody 33 with a mast head rig.The mast looks straight when i look along the track (inthe marina)but the leeward halyards seem to slacken to much when beating to windward. I will try and have a look up the track the next time we are out. Weather helm increases in anything above a 4-5 but i would not say she is unduly heavy. i must say that my main has seen better days which dose not help.

Colmce the link works fine/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
leo_Man_dobbert.gif

AndrewB

Visit site
I agree with you about a masthead rigged boat, but care is necessary with a fractional rig with swept-back spreaders - I think that is a job for the professional.

There are a lot of useful rigging tips on Brion Toss's website, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.briontoss.com/education/fairleads.html>HERE</A>.

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Hi thought you would like to know .
I tweeked the rig a little but mostly i increased the rake.
V pleasing as on a 85mile cruise over the weekend i trounced a 36ft jenny and kept up with a lot of larger yachts , surprising a few.(f5 gusting 6) Pointing has improved but over all i think i was expecting a little much .
I still want to improve speed in light airs but as i am unable to shed vast amounts of weight i will ,when funds allow, increase sail area .
Thanks for the advise.
Best regards
Squidge

<hr width=100% size=1>
leo_Man_dobbert.gif

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I had a similar experience two weeks ago in a 3-4. Beat the living wotsit out of a new Ben 323. Started off with them classically lee bowing us, and powered through them to windward, probably 0.5 kt faster... I was amazed to discover with a glimpse at June PBO that a) the 323 was brand new and b) it was a fin keeler...

<hr width=100% size=1>Larry Botheras

Anderson 26 "Amber"