Rider Groups

oGaryo

Visit site
Hi All, now that I am getting to grips with the new job, I have a little more time so I can start putting a little more effort into finalising the organisation of the ride.

One of the things we may want to look at is groupings of riders.

How does 2 to 3 groups of varying abilities sound with someone in each group having a means of navigating the route so we don't (in theory) lose anyone along the way.

What do you think? needed? and if so, what groupings should we consider?

rafiki_

Visit site
I think you are spot on with this Gary for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if we ride in a large peleton then we have a higher risk of upsetting locals/motorists. Secondly, we can group people who anticipate riding at their comfortable average speed, so that speed merchants don't get frustrated, and laggers feel under pressure and drop out. I will aim to average 15 mph, others might be quicker or slower. It will be for all riders to state their preferred speed.

P4Paul

Visit site
I think the groups should be related to the type of attire worn on the day:

Lycra bib tights - if it looks fast, it possibly is fast

Cotton shorts - surprisingly durable but can be a bit heavy

String vest - high risk of not ending well

I am currently hovering between string vest and cotton shorts... :)

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I think the groups should be related to the type of attire worn on the day:

Lycra bib tights - if it looks fast, it possibly is fast

Cotton shorts - surprisingly durable but can be a bit heavy

String vest - high risk of not ending well

I am currently hovering between string vest and cotton shorts... :)
The flaw in your plan is that Bradley Wiggins wears a string vest!

I suspect he'd be in the fast group......

CPD

Visit site
I met Mr Pheonix of Hamble (Neil) last night who renminded me of my participation in this event. I genuinely had forgotten all about it. Work has been absolutely horriffic recently, stress levels through the roof etc, and this is exactly the sort of event that I need to get switched into. Eight weeks then to get rid of the gut, get into some sort of shape and complete wjat I am sure will be a load of fun. I hereby nominate myself as tail end charlie in the string vest/hankie on head team. I shant fix rear view mirrors on the bike,as there will be no-one in the group to see there :). Really looking forward to it. Did a leisurely 10 miles last week and developing the training plan later today. Bring it on !! (Edge 800 on board so genuinely happy to help with nav in the slower group).

oGaryo

Visit site
I met Mr Pheonix of Hamble (Neil) last night who renminded me of my participation in this event. I genuinely had forgotten all about it. Work has been absolutely horriffic recently, stress levels through the roof etc, and this is exactly the sort of event that I need to get switched into. Eight weeks then to get rid of the gut, get into some sort of shape and complete wjat I am sure will be a load of fun. I hereby nominate myself as tail end charlie in the string vest/hankie on head team. I shant fix rear view mirrors on the bike,as there will be no-one in the group to see there :). Really looking forward to it. Did a leisurely 10 miles last week and developing the training plan later today. Bring it on !! (Edge 800 on board so genuinely happy to help with nav in the slower group).

excellent, great to have you on board :encouragement: hope the training goes well and thanks for the contact details, we'll include you in all future correspondence