Rib advice looki at Leeway 6.3 or similar.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
Long long time since I've posted on here so apologies for first return post being a request for advice. For various reasons we sold our Sealine F33 last year but as suspected we can't cope with not having a boat! Long term we will buy another cruising boat but as a stop gap we are looking at RIBs as they seem like lots of fun and a relatively inexpensive way of getting on the water for our fix.

I have been looking at 6 ish meter ribs with the aim of towing it, one that has caught my eye is a Leeway 6.3 with a mariner 130 optimax on the back. Has anyone got any comment on the quality performance and handling of this setup? If they are open I may go have a look today otherwise it will be next weekend.

Generally Im looking for a fast ish but economical set up mainly for short blasts in the Solent but also for the odd longer trip so want decent range and comfort. I'm not looking for a really heavy sea boat as I'm a no hero when it comes to the rough stuff but would like something that can handle the Solent chop and the odd bit of rough if we get caught out in it. I only wanna spent around £10k max as this will be our first RIB.

Cheers in advance for any comments, hints or tips!

Simon

z1ppy

Visit site
there are lots of views on Leeway boats and i for one would stay clear of them but thats my decision.

Ribnet will throw up lots of suggestions as to why i would stay clear of them but have a read!

z1ppy

Visit site
There are lots of good ribs out there. my old 6 meter Coastline rib was one of the best for its size in any kind of sea. Solent Ribs are not bad for the money and fast / efficient hull shape. I'm sure with some searching you will find what your after!

i found that anything over 6 meters was generally ok to span the short solent chop. The longer the better is the general rule but with that comes running and purchase costs.

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
If they are open I may go have a look today .....

Your post suggests you are after a new RIB, your not going to find a new 6m fully rigged for anything close to £10K.

There is lots out there on the second hand mmarket.

Key decisions are

How old an engine are you prepared to accept (newer the better)?

What seating configuration do you want (this is costly to modify)?

Do you need an A frame (for night light etc)?

Then trawl the usual websites

Gods luck

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
Thanks z1ppy and Doug. not looking at new, budget and scottishness will not stretch to that! :0)

aiming at 2004 onwards ish I think, we are both fairly mechanically minded so happier with a well looked after older boat that a newer one that's been ignored/neglected.

We have spotted a Revenger 25 that is looking appealing, it is a little over budget and bigger than I'd planned but if it would be towable behind our motorhome then it could be an option.

JSYmartini

Visit site
As with any mobo purchase, it's all about the motor. A four stroke or even an etec would be nice. With the cost of petrol on your side of the channel it's an important factor. Optimax's for example average around 35:1 fuel/oil ratio and the oil's about £45 per 4 litres. Add that to your 1.5 litres of fuel per nm average at cruising speed and it starts getting pricey!

z1ppy

Visit site
Revenger 25 is a great boat!! We seriously considered a 29 inboard before the last rib we had!

Is that the one in scotland? blue i think? talk with Phil Morris at Revenger in southampton. There isnt a revenger around that he doesnt know about!

The Revenger hull form is very fast and great sea boat! i have a picture somewhere of their 32 with twin outboards in some BIG air! they are less rugged than many ribs but depends what your after.

Given the choice of an older Revenger 25 and a newer Leeway i know which i would pick.