Retrofitting a Snowgoose 37 catamaran?

NinaT

Visit site
We are considering buying a Snowgoose 37 (maybe the Elite version), as we have heard many good things about these old cats - and they fit our budget. But we are considering a few "updates" that would make these boat even more attractive for us:
  • Ideally we would love a cat with headroom of 1,90 m (6'2-6'3) in the part of the saloon just in front of the door and to the passage to the hulls. We've seen some pictures of Prouts with a "curved, elevated" entrance part with windows in it. Would it be possible to change that on one of the orignal Snowgeese? (we are quit skilled handy(wo)men, but lack the knowledge on the structural design).
  • Another potential retrofitting project on a Snowgoose 37 would be to change the big sofas in the salon to a master bedroom with access from the front starboard hull. Such versions exists, but the question is again related to structure. Could it be done without comprimising the structure, if it's not build that way originally?
  • We like the two engine versions, both due to the redundancy and the harbour maneurvering. But not all Snowgeese have that. Does anyone know about retrofitting options here?

Trident

Visit site
I'd suggest if you haven't already, joining the facebook Prout owners group

There is no reason not to put the dome above the entrance door provided you do not interfere with the mast compression post by the door. The roof is not really structural and nor is the rear wall (not a bulkhead) between cockpit and saloon except around the mast post

Yes you can convert the saloon to have access - I did so on a Snowgoose 35 . As long as you allow for deck support the fore/aft walls are not structural

Very few Snowgoose were built with twin engines because they are too heavy really for the boat and give a lot of drag at the back from the weight. You could do it but it will sail even more poorly than before. The elite is already heavy and has drag at the back from the extra room in the berths but the original 37 sails better. You might consider a single engine and twin hydraulic drives to give better manoeuvring but honestly , with a little practice the single engine and outdrive is not bad at all - my wife once had station at a lock in 40 knots of wind just waggling the outdrive lever and throttle whilst everyone else had to circle.

Either way, you can do twin engines if you accept the big weight penalty or hydraulic drives or even twin outboards - all have been done in the past on the Snowgoose

geem

Visit site

There is no reason not to put the dome above the entrance door provided you do not interfere with the mast compression post by the door. The roof is not really structural and nor is the rear wall (not a bulkhead) between cockpit and saloon except around the mast post

Yes you can convert the saloon to have access - I did so on a Snowgoose 35 . As long as you allow for deck support the fore/aft walls are not structural

Very few Snowgoose were built with twin engines because they are too heavy really for the boat and give a lot of drag at the back from the weight. You could do it but it will sail even more poorly than before. The elite is already heavy and has drag at the back from the extra room in the berths but the original 37 sails better. You might consider a single engine and twin hydraulic drives to give better manoeuvring but honestly , with a little practice the single engine and outdrive is not bad at all - my wife once had station at a lock in 40 knots of wind just waggling the outdrive lever and throttle whilst everyone else had to circle.

Either way, you can do twin engines if you accept the big weight penalty or hydraulic drives or even twin outboards - all have been done in the past on the Snowgoose
I had the snowgoose 37 with a single engine. That boat was super easy to manoeuvre in harbour with the steerable driveleg. I would concur that the twin engine Elite models were more like a motorsailer. Their sailing performance was woeful compared to the pre elite 37.
We kept our sowgoose super light. Foam core table, doors, bunk bases. A very basic fit out below. We also had a taller rig. She sailed very well. Weight is a performance killer on these boats.

Trident

Visit site
I had the snowgoose 37 with a single engine. That boat was super easy to manoeuvre in harbour with the steerable driveleg. I would concur that the twin engine Elite models were more like a motorsailer. Their sailing performance was woeful compared to the pre elite 37.
We kept our sowgoose super light. Foam core table, doors, bunk bases. A very basic fit out below. We also had a taller rig. She sailed very well. Weight is a performance killer on these boats.
Yep, I really don't like the Elite with single or twin motor - the drag is terrible compared to the original 37, and having had the single engine 35, I'd probably go further and dump the engine and leg and use an outboards - a pair of 9.9 long shaft work well on a few boats I've seen and give twin engine control for less than the weight of the single diesel let alone the Sillette / engine package

boatmike

Visit site
We are considering buying a Snowgoose 37 (maybe the Elite version), as we have heard many good things about these old cats - and they fit our budget. But we are considering a few "updates" that would make these boat even more attractive for us:
  • Ideally we would love a cat with headroom of 1,90 m (6'2-6'3) in the part of the saloon just in front of the door and to the passage to the hulls. We've seen some pictures of Prouts with a "curved, elevated" entrance part with windows in it. Would it be possible to change that on one of the orignal Snowgeese? (we are quit skilled handy(wo)men, but lack the knowledge on the structural design).
  • Another potential retrofitting project on a Snowgoose 37 would be to change the big sofas in the salon to a master bedroom with access from the front starboard hull. Such versions exists, but the question is again related to structure. Could it be done without comprimising the structure, if it's not build that way originally?
  • We like the two engine versions, both due to the redundancy and the harbour maneurvering. But not all Snowgeese have that. Does anyone know about retrofitting options here?
Frankly all things are possible if you are willing to do the work. However the things you mention would be expensive and you will never recover your outlay on resale. Look for one that is nearer your requirements as built.

NinaT

Visit site

Thanks alot. Didn’t know that FB group. Also thanks for the detailed inputs

NinaT

Visit site
Frankly all things are possible if you are willing to do the work. However the things you mention would be expensive and you will never recover your outlay on resale. Look for one that is nearer your requirements as built.
I understand your point. And we would not buy one where we were planning to do all these things. But it’s really nice to know what would be possible 😀

geem

Visit site
Yep, I really don't like the Elite with single or twin motor - the drag is terrible compared to the original 37, and having had the single engine 35, I'd probably go further and dump the engine and leg and use an outboards - a pair of 9.9 long shaft work well on a few boats I've seen and give twin engine control for less than the weight of the single diesel let alone the Sillette / engine package
The only problem for me is the high fuel consumption of petrol outboards compared to diesel and I also don't like carrying high volumes of petrol onboard. We always carry petrol for the outboard on deck. Petrol is dangerous stuff on a boat. We never put it in a locker. I have seen a couple of boats burn to the waterline from petrol fires.

NinaT

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the nice replies. I'm really happy with all your inputs - it helps alot in decision making :)