Retrofit a furling line feeder/fairlead onto furling drum for (old) Plastimo furler?

Vega1447

Visit site
Hi I have a Plastimo 608-S furler.

If the line isn't kept taut the line can escape from the drum and jam in the gap between the drum and the top disc. Or even wrap round the foil above the drum.

There is no furling line feeder/fairlead onto the furling drum - unusual I think. The newer 609 system has what looks like a better system but still no feeded.

Plastimo don't seem to offer a feeder addon.

Has anyone managed to fit one?

Thanks.

Sandy

Visit site
You could always make one or have one made.

I was always taught to keep the furling line taught and stand in the cockpit with both lines in hand pulling the sheet while the furling line is controlled.

Refueler

Visit site
Strange ... my 608 / 609 has a wire rod based feeder .... part of the original kit ...

TxEoCuRl.jpg

VQ9TUBRl.jpg

Sorry I cannot show the underside ... I was hanging over pulpit then to get these shots ....

The guide is a prebent rod affair that then has a plate under the drum that sits with the mount ... the drum free to turn above it. I think it is extension of the base part - so I don;t think the guide itself is available separately ...

Refueler

Visit site
Strange ... just been looking through the 608 / 609 manuals and they only show a feeder on the 406 .....

The feeder on my 608 / 609 is definitely an OEM part included in the kit .. not a modification or 3rd party add on ... its actually all part of the bottom plate that drum and bearing sits on ... and mounting plates bolt to.
The only difference I see from mine to later versions is mine does not have the 'cheek sides' to the drum ... mine is the older open drum type.

I would hazard a guess that the 406 feeder would fit as most of the parts except the drum itself are same as the 6 series.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
As a question .... where does your reefing line exit from before arrival at drum ? Do you have a small block or guide on pulpit / rail to set the level the reefing line is to the drum ? Can it be adjusted to avoid the line riding the drum ?

Vega1447

Visit site
I used a simple long twist shackle.

PBO Magazine had it in their 'top Tips' years ago.

Drill the drum midway on one side of the line opening, fit shackle, thread furling line.

Simples.
Thanks. A top tip indeed!

Just for clarity, the vertical 'cheeks' don't rotate while the disks attached above and below the rotating drum rotate with the foil.

So the long twist shackle is attached to the side of the appropriate cheek once a hole is drilled?

Maybe reinforce the hole with washers each side?

Thanks again.drum2.jpg

I've attached a photo for clarity.

pandos

Visit site
I took mine through a pulley attached on a few shackles to the pullpit and a piece of bungy up from base of the furler. (Still need to be careful, not to leave too much slack, but at least the first firm tug will be from the correct angle of attack.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Thanks. A top tip indeed!

Just for clarity, the vertical 'cheeks' don't rotate while the disks attached above and below the rotating drum rotate with the foil.

So the long twist shackle is attached to the side of the appropriate cheek once a hole is drilled?

Maybe reinforce the hole with washers each side?

Thanks again.View attachment 156091

I've attached a photo for clarity.

No need to reinforce, it is just a guide. I fitted a new 608 to a Hunter 27 OOD. I am sure I was able to put the 'cheeks where I needed them.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I used a simple long twist shackle.

PBO Magazine had it in their 'top Tips' years ago.

Drill the drum midway on one side of the line opening, fit shackle, thread furling line.

Simples.

Thanks.

I fitted a twisted shackle and it works fine.

Could you please post a pic of this solution, or describe it more precisely? I have the same problem with the same Plastimo furler, but I'm struggling to envisage exactly what is being suggested here.

Is it one of the cheeks that encloses the drum sides that is being drilled?

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Could you please post a pic of this solution, or describe it more precisely? I have the same problem with the same Plastimo furler, but I'm struggling to envisage exactly what is being suggested here.

Is it one of the cheeks that encloses the drum sides that is being drilled?
Yes. I have my furling line on port side, runs along side deck through small pulleys and then up through a twisted shackle on pulpit to the port side 'cheek' of drum. 5mm twisted shackle attached mid way up the edge of said 'cheek' guides line into centre of drum.
Hope that makes sense. Pics later in the week if needed.