Reserving a buoy in cabrera

jfm

Visit site
Thanks. I’ll do what i can to get to Cabrera and will also try some other options on buoys.

@jfm i take your point on settings and iPhone re anchor drag but it’s in me that is the problem. With persons on board i know i won’t sleep until the confidence has built to do so. Hopefully it will come quite soon.
The other thing is to completely ignore all of this 3x depth nonsense, if that's what you were taught (as I was) by RYA/Dayskipper/Coastal skipper. It's all garbage. Put 5x out in nice Mallorca summer weather, and 6x or 7x if you're expecting a strong wind. But never 3x. Don't worry about naysayers who say you will swing differently from your neighbours - that usually wont be a problem and if it is you might have to re-set your anchor (if they were there before you) which is no big deal.

John100156

Visit site
I tend to use ‘4x+a bit’ which set well in Es Trenc, that was on my Sealine F43. I would never drop less than 4x.

IIRC RYA recommended 4x on chain and 6x on rode many years ago.

We knew the morning breeze would turn us 180 and even considered a kedge, but we had plenty of room to turn and she sat well all day, we arrived shortly after lunching in Portal Vells. I set an anchor alarm and slept well, but slept like a log on a buoy in Cabrera….😁 Hope you get one, have a great trip and go for it and don’t worry it all adds to the fun!

DAW

Visit site
The other thing is to completely ignore all of this 3x depth nonsense, if that's what you were taught (as I was) by RYA/Dayskipper/Coastal skipper. It's all garbage. Put 5x out in nice Mallorca summer weather, and 6x or 7x if you're expecting a strong wind. But never 3x. Don't worry about naysayers who say you will swing differently from your neighbours - that usually wont be a problem and if it is you might have to re-set your anchor (if they were there before you) which is no big deal.

Totally agree with all this!!! In good weather, calm conditions and in crowded anchorages, I often go with only 3x during the day just to avoid fouling chains, problems with picking up, etc. when it's time to leave. If it's quiet, windy, or at night, I always go to 5-6x. I've never had problems swinging into anything, and only on rare occasions problems with dragging. When conditions are bad, you can't get into a marina and have no choice but to stay at anchor (which can happen during the busy summer months) I always think its wise to have someone awake anyway to keep watch and make sure nobody else is dragging into you.

John100156

Visit site
Remember these simple rules :

3x :oops: :poop:
4x :) plus a bit, is my preferred 'minimum'
5x :D
6x :sleep:

Horses for courses. All depends on crowding, bed, sea state and wind conditions of course.
Don't forget to make up a good snubber though. Also you can always add a weight to reduce swing if its really needed..!

jfm

Visit site
Ah the old snubber debate. Each to their own but fwiw I never use a snubber. Anchoring isn’t about staying put; it’s about getting out when you need to. When the weather turns lousy and you wake up to see another boat dragging towards you, the last thing you want is a tangle in your shoelaces.

jrudge

Visit site
Thanks. I’ll do what i can to get to Cabrera and will also try some other options on buoys.

@jfm i take your point on settings and iPhone re anchor drag but it’s in me that is the problem. With persons on board i know i won’t sleep until the confidence has built to do so. Hopefully it will come quite soon.

Bear in mind if it has not moved all day then ( extreme weather aside) is it not likely to move during the night.

Where are you based ? I am in cala dor.

Parabolica

Visit site
Fortunately I was taught 5-6x depth so have been doing exactly that :)

Hooligan

Visit site
Fortunately I was taught 5-6x depth so have been doing exactly that :)
I found anchoring to be the hardest part when I started. It takes a while to intuitively understand depth, chain length and swing radius - or at least it took me a while. It’s basically practise. I would never put down less than 4 x and frankly if you take the view that you can rarely go wrong the more you have down then it makes no sense to be anything other than conservative. I once had 80 m down in 3 m of water but I was tying back to the harbour wall and the area had a reputation for slipping. I didn’t move an inch needless to say!! You may also find that you never truly sleep like at home when on anchor. The smallest of noises tend to wake me up and you can also sense when the wind picks up even if your berth is midships.

John100156

Visit site
Ah the old snubber debate. Each to their own but fwiw I never use a snubber. Anchoring isn’t about staying put; it’s about getting out when you need to. When the weather turns lousy and you wake up to see another boat dragging towards you, the last thing you want is a tangle in your shoelaces.
Mmmmm I do know what you mean, but on a 45' boat its relatively easy to rig a basic “snubber” out of rope attached to the anchor chain and secured to 2 bow cleats, just to take the snatch load off the winch and stop the blooming chain rattling on the bow roller at night, remember JFM, on a tiddly little P45 the master cabin is at the bow ;-)

Rigged right, it can easily be released, or even cut quickly if needed.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com

I didn’t sleep at all the first few nights we anchored overnight but it really is a confidence thing that won’t improve unless you do it!

Other threads that may be of interest