Reserving a buoy in cabrera

julians

Visit site
So,I'm out in mallorca at the moment,and fancy an overnight in cabrera ( like I have done many times), only this time there are no moorings available for privately owned boats until the end of september, however if during the booking process I say that I am a charter boat there are loads of buoys available.

Is there any downside to me booking a buoy as a charter boat when I am actually a 'privately owned ' boat.

The actual cost of the buoy does not change between chartered and privately owned.

Any ideas?

As it stands I have booked a buoy as a charter boat for Friday night, but just wondering if I will regret that.

julians

Visit site
That's good to hear,thanks.

Our boat is in Port Adriano,but were staying in our apartment in cala vinas

jfm

Visit site
I booked charter last summer and there was no problem. No one cares or checks. I also booked the next size up and that worked fine too - there was a cost penalty of course.

itspaul

Visit site
One of the reasons there appears to be no availability is the furthest you can book ahead is 21 days I booked just before we came out and got a bouy on a Sunday night ,the Friday and Saturday ones go as soon as they come into the 21 day window hope that makes sense.

John100156

Visit site
You can book the buoys in Cabrera direct, the site/form is now in English; we used this a couple of years ago:

https://www.caib.es/rescabfront/mostrarForm?ID_INSTANCIA=bf68ae68642322bb31ed4b3bd6258b5a

This was the buoy layout then and our last booking info:

Cabrera.jpg

PEJ

Visit site
I assume that you cannot anchor overnight in Cabrera, hence having to book a buoy, but can you anchor there during the day provided you "go home" before night fall?

julians

Visit site
No, no anchoring at all is allowed. They do have a series of 'day buoys' that can't be booked, that are available at no charge on a first come first served basis,but you can't stay overnight on them. You do need to hold a cabrera navigation permit to use these buoys (you should also hold this permit to just navigate through the cabrera waters), but that permit is available at no charge and you only need to apply once every 12 months. Again it can be applied for online.

Last edited:

DougH

Visit site
I book charter bouys all the time for the same reason.

Where in Mallorca are you ?

Hope the Spanish authorities do not check on the booking lists to see what vessels are shown as charter boats but are not registered for chartering and not paying the correct fees and taxes.

You could end up with Deleted User doing a runner.:D

Truro Ex Pat

Visit site
Hi I am booked in for 25 July no problem but does the buoy include the permit or do you need to get this separately?
If so what web site?
Thanks

julians

Visit site

John100156

Visit site
If anyone is having a problem opening the links to the form for booking buoys in Cabrera, the links posted above seem to be time limited, you can just use the following:

https://www.caib.es/rescabfront/

Click on the page link for 'mooring' which shows dates and buoys available

Click on the language link 'English' and then the link 'Permit for Navigation'

Parabolica

Visit site
following a successful first weeks‘ family boating, we will try and book Cabrera in summer for a night. It looks like the perfect way to sample a night onboard away from our berth, and tied to a buoy as i have to admit, the thought of a night at anchor fills me with fear in these early days of my new found hobby.

MedDreamer

Visit site
following a successful first weeks‘ family boating, we will try and book Cabrera in summer for a night. It looks like the perfect way to sample a night onboard away from our berth, and tied to a buoy as i have to admit, the thought of a night at anchor fills me with fear in these early days of my new found hobby.

If you are a little nervous about overnighting and want a gentle start, there are sheltered buoys available in Portopetro which would be a good and reassuring way to sample nights on the water

itspaul

Visit site
Yes good way of building confidence , I really don’t understand why they don’t put a lot more buoys out around Majorca they will happily pay a guy in a rib to ride round checking if you have anchored in grass so why not have him collecting fees for buoys in the areas they want to protect ? Or is that too simple ?

jfm

Visit site
Just do it. Anchors just don’t slip until wind gets so strong that you won’t be out anyway. Have an anchor drag alert on your boat’s mfd and your iPhone.

John100156

Visit site
Cabrera (pic below) is a nice tranquil spot, but gets booked very quickly in summer. When we went there, we booked two nights but had to move to a different buoy on day 2 - no real effort.

If booked why not try Es-Trenc on the hook just over the road mainland Mallorca, we found the holding there was very good even though it blew up a bit on day 2. Can get a bit busy in the day, but when the boy racers have gone home, it was really a nice spot just before we ran over to Cabrera, not sure if the Xiringuito is still there (pic below) when we were last there:

1.jpg
2.jpg

Parabolica

Visit site
Thanks. I’ll do what i can to get to Cabrera and will also try some other options on buoys.

@jfm i take your point on settings and iPhone re anchor drag but it’s in me that is the problem. With persons on board i know i won’t sleep until the confidence has built to do so. Hopefully it will come quite soon.