Reprieve for small Calor cylinders

rotrax

Visit site
They can Foxtrot Oscar.

I have bought a 20 quid connecting pipe and fill my own 3.9's from a £50 15 kilo cylinder.

It is a doddle and perfectly safe. I have completely filled 3 3.9's so far, still some left in the donor, so if I get it all out, £12.50 per fill.

But good news for others who want the convenience of exchange..

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
After all their flip flopping on this issue, with no coherent message over the last few years, I'll believe it when I see a fully stocked gas cage in a marina!

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
If the letter is true (posted on Facebook...), I have to take note of the use of the term 'refurbishment' and 'reconditioning' with regards to getting the cylinders back on the market.
No plans for making new?

Hopefully, the company has realised just how many were being used and how much revenue these bring into the company - possibly the manager that took the initial decision to stop the supply has been booted out.

oldgit

Visit site
Seem to recall this has only taken 4 years ?
Have my carefully guarded 4.5 k Butane bottles suddenly aquired some sort of value and can I expect the be paying capital gains on the profits.
Can I claim compensation for the umpteen phone calls trying to track down anybody likely to have a full 4.5k bottle lurking in the back of their cage, the outrageously over priced weeny 907 canister of gas bought from Camping International, the new regulator, or the time struggling to fit a 7k bottle into a 4.5k gas locker.
Think we know the answer already. :)

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
Seem to recall this has only taken 4 years ?
Have my carefully guarded 4.5 k Butane bottles suddenly aquired some sort of value and can I expect the be paying capital gains on the profits.
Can I claim compensation for the umpteen phone calls trying to track down anybody likely to have a full 4.5k bottle lurking in the back of their cage, the outrageously over priced weeny 907 canister of gas bought from Camping International, the new regulator, or the time struggling to fit a 7k bottle into a 4.5k gas locker.
Think we know the answer already. :)
See post #7.

Northern Star

Visit site
I get the feeling that Calor have created this situation and it is now a good way to charge people even more for their product in a limited supply market.

We are on LPG at home and have been paying huge amounts for three years now and there are only two suppliers for us up here in Co Durham and Calor are the most expensive now. We don't even bother signing fixed price contracts now as they just charge what they want.

I paid £55 for my last 13kg bottle and have a 4.6 as a spare but it can stay empty if that is what they are charging for a full one.

Never Grumble

Visit site
So what about all those people who gave up their 4.5KG empties for a larger bottle will they now swap them back. Luckily I didn't need much gas this year so didn't swap and thought I'd watch and see how this sorry mess played out.

PeterBoater

Visit site
If the letter is true (posted on Facebook...), I have to take note of the use of the term 'refurbishment' and 'reconditioning' with regards to getting the cylinders back on the market.
No plans for making new?

Hopefully, the company has realised just how many were being used and how much revenue these bring into the company - possibly the manager that took the initial decision to stop the supply has been booted out.
Yes, this is only a revamp of an earlier partial climbdown by Calor. Empty bottles handed in will be refilled if in a usable condition or are usable after refurbishment. Unusable bottles will be scrapped and no more new ones manufactured. The overall population of bottles will reduce to effectively zero in the longer term by 'natural wastage'. How long the longer term will be is anybody's guess, although Calor should know how many bottles are in existence and how many are scrapped every year.

Last edited:

Alan S

Visit site
Bloody annoying. I changed to Flogas at considerable expense and gave away 2 Calor 4.5s.
Flogas are hard to find near the waterways if like me you have no car.