replacing Volvo MD11 with Volvo 2003 sterndrive ?

LadyStardust

sistermidnight.co.uk
Has anyone any experience of replacing a Volvo MD11 with a Volvo 2003 R sterndrive. From the volvo site it looks like the enginge mounts are not to far out, but not quite close enough to work. The transmission angle is the same. I'm not sure what the other considerations might be.

Paul C, Lady Stardust , Baba 30 , Liverpool

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone any experience of replacing a Volvo MD11 with a Volvo 2003 R sterndrive. From the volvo site it looks like the enginge mounts are not to far out, but not quite close enough to work. The transmission angle is the same. I'm not sure what the other considerations might be.

Paul C, Lady Stardust , Baba 30 , Liverpool

[/ QUOTE ] Why would you want to replace your existing engine with another that is already out of production? or am I mixing up my Volvos? - I know the 2003 series as in 2003 sail drive, 2003 SOLAS, 2003MD, 2003T and the 2003T(PD) are obsolete / out of production (Volvo's own web site)

I would have thought that if one had a Volvo and was changing it one would choose another make of engine rather than another Volvo. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

andy_wilson

Visit site
"md11 is 25years old and has never been refurbished. "

Perennial Volvo-knockers will not understand that such things exist.

Bukh are the other manufacturer that commonly acheive this but they look about as agricultural of a farmers wife of at least double those years.

And parts cost more than for Volvo, and they make you row further to find them.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"md11 is 25years old and has never been refurbished. "

Perennial Volvo-knockers will not understand that such things exist.

Bukh are the other manufacturer that commonly acheive this but they look about as agricultural of a farmers wife of at least double those years.

And parts cost more than for Volvo, and they make you row further to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]Bukh spares (if you ever need them) mail order, next day delivery. Not so expensive except for the head gasket set. Mine is only 18 years old - not even run in yet! Only major work I've done was a chemical descaling of the waterways and a manual cleaning of the thermostat housing. Minor "repairs" was to reset the tickover speed and the regular filter changes. Oh yes I can hand crank my DV24 to start it when SHMO leaves the batteries on "all" overnight and hammers the bejeezus out of the microwave (240v by invertor).

If someone has rebuilt the 2003 why are they selling it cheap? To overhaul any engine properly is not a cheap exercise - did they forget to put some bits back in?
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I take your point, but this is a very cheap, just reconditioned 2003 with next to no hours on it, whereas the md11 is 25years old and has never been refurbished.

[/ QUOTE ]In the imortal words of someone or other "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
----------
hammer.thumb.gif

LadyStardust

sistermidnight.co.uk
Yes, I think the last comment is right, I have enough jobs already stopping me from sailing until May/Jun, will see if I can't get a few more seasons out of this then look at a new Yanmar to replace it.
If anyone might be interested, the volvo 2003 is on ebay, 21hours left Item number: 4524417639.

Paul C , Lady Stardust, Liverpool UK.