Replacing teak strips on cockpit seating

okierse

Visit site
Hello all,

The teak strip used on the cockpit seating in our Sadler 29 needs replacing. Strip width is 65mm x 8mm thick. Any recommendations on where I can order marine teak to these dimensions? Cutting/drilling/fitting, I can do myself.

regards...

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Okierse!

I am just starting the same work on my boat. Having got some info from a recent thread on this forum, I decided to place an order with:

K J Howells and Son
Cobbs Quay Marina
Hamworthy
Poole
Dorset
England
UK
BH15 4EL

Telephone:
+ 44 1202 665724
Fax:
+ 44 1202 665724
Email:
sales@kjhowells.com

You can download their catalogue/price list over the net and select your timber from that.
I had intended to buy the strips myself, but having calculated the cost of all the materials, I got a quote from the above for making the panels complete. As it was very reasonable, the panels would be delivered 'ready to fit' and it would save a huge amount of time, I have gone this route.

I have done this sort of work a few times on my previous boats and remember it as very time-consuming and messy though very satisfying when completed.

The other company I tried was Onward marine, but they were more expensive though offering a huge range of different sections. They are at www.onward-marine.co.uk

Best of luck with your replacement

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Another company is Robbins Timber of Bristol, but cheap they are not!

I would use a local supplier of boatbuilding timber called John Moody who runs a business supplying teak and other boat building timber from the South Hams in Devon. He is very reasonable for teak, but there is no mail order service as far as I know. If you want his number let me know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi John,

Many thanks for that local supplier whom I've added to my 'Boating Suppliers List', so would much appreciate having his telephone number (and address if you have it).

As I mentioned though, I have decided to have the cockpit seating panels pre-made, so that I just have to apply the Sikaflex, bed and screw them down, and the jobs done. That's the theory anyway! David Howells was very knowledgeable and helpful when I was discussing my requirements, and the price quoted was reasonable (wow, isn't teak a crippling price everywhere?!!) so I await the resulting panels with a mixture of excitement and trepidation!

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi starboard!

Yes agreed, the screws are only four to a panel and are for location until the Sikaflex has cured rather than a permanent fixing. Thanks anyway!

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>