Replacing teak... how to measure and/or how to get designs from ex-Southern Shore?

EugeneR

Visit site
We have a spot on the bathing platform of our Fairline Phantom 38 where the teak is starting to come off. It's only a small spot on the "far side" but is enough to make me want to get it back to new again...

I believe Wattkins was a supplier for Fairline but it seems that they do not have the original design. They are seeing how they can help, possibly using another client's boat they have done before - will hopefully hear this week. There was another supplier, Southern Shore, but they no longer seem to exist.

Does anyone know anyone that used to work for Southern Shore and who may be able to find the original designs?

Alternatively, what is the best / recommended way to measure / trace / get the current design across to Wattkins accurately?

Finally, once I have the replacement teak, any recommendations for someone around the Solent / Hamble to remove the old / fit the new?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
We have a spot on the bathing platform of our Fairline Phantom 38 where the teak is starting to come off. It's only a small spot on the "far side" but is enough to make me want to get it back to new again...

I believe Wattkins was a supplier for Fairline but it seems that they do not have the original design. They are seeing how they can help, possibly using another client's boat they have done before - will hopefully hear this week. There was another supplier, Southern Shore, but they no longer seem to exist.

Does anyone know anyone that used to work for Southern Shore and who may be able to find the original designs?

Alternatively, what is the best / recommended way to measure / trace / get the current design across to Wattkins accurately?

Finally, once I have the replacement teak, any recommendations for someone around the Solent / Hamble to remove the old / fit the new?

You mean Wattsons, not Wattkins. They can template it for you using a clever gadget that they just trace the outline of the existing teak and this creates a CNC template. They'll charge you for this service.

Alternatively an easy DIY way to do this is buy a load of thin rigid polystyrene flooring underlay from Wickes, tape it together with gaffer tape to create a single sheet big enough to cover the area to be templated, then trim it in situ to the precise shape you need. Finally, cut it up into a suitable size for despatch to Wattsons in a way that will be easy for them to reassemble.

This is what I did when I teaked my extended bathing platform, and it worked perfectly.

ashtead

Visit site
If you are seeking help Russell Rennison might be able to assist . Used by a number of forumites. He cleaned out and recaulked teak for us. Based in Gosport but I'm sure he travels to Hamble etc.