Replacing rotten transom on Bombard AX300 rib: what plastic?

Puggy

Visit site
Hi all

The wooden transom on my 10 year old Bombard AX300 rib has completely rotted out. So I have removed it (it was just mush) and want to replace it with a plastic transom of some sort. Can anyone who knows about plastics recommend what I should be looking at? Ideally something that PVC glue and Sikaflex will stick to, able to be cut with a jigsaw and ideally sanded down and not too brittle so it can support an outboard motor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Puggy

greeny

Visit site
Use decent plywood as it was originally?
The last lot lasted 10 years so it's unlikely that the pvc dinghy will now outlast the new wooden transom. If it does then just make a third one in ten years time.

Puggy

Visit site
Yes an option. Possibly build out of marine ply and paint with epoxy.

But I don’t regard 10 years at a lot for a RIB, pretty shoddy quality really. I think the problem is a combination of the transom made out of bog standard plywood sheathed in a plastic covering that brilliant managed to retain any moisture, and the fact that the boat hangs in my davits. When in the davits, i let the stern hang lower and the bung is out to drain the water, but a small amount of rainwater tends to collect in the corner, and i think it is this fresh water that has rotted the transom. Even a cover the covers the whole boat hasn’t prevented this..

Last edited: