Replacing hydraulic hose in water

G

I have a pin-hole size leak from one of the power trim hydraulic hoses on a Mercruser Sterndrive. Can the hose be safely replaced in shallow fresh water? I am told the system is self-bleeding - but does that apply to water and/or air? I would like to avoid taking the boat out of the water to replace a £35 hose.
Anyone done it?

G

Thanks for good idea but for once being on Loch Lomond has a disadvantage - no tide. Also, what's a burgee?

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Dick head for the nearest beach, agree with HLB water in hydraulics sounds like bad news. If no beach then find some way of getting the bows down far enough to enable pipe to be changed clear of the water.
Try to collect any oil spills as they will spread in an enclosed fresh water area.
Also the waters cold this time of year!
Trevor.

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Have a party and get everyone to stand on the bow whilst you change the hose. It just might work, depends on the shape of you boat. Might be cheaper than hauling out, but you should not risk contaminating an oil hydraulic system with water, though interestingly enough early hydraulic systems used water as a transmission fluid. Trouble with water, if my memory serves is that it boils at a low temparture, and forms vapour pockets which being compressible, stop the system working.

Chris Stannard