Replacing cutless bearing

Miker

Visit site
I will shortly be atempting to replace the cutless bearing on my Beneteau 260. The bearing is rubber and has a lip at one end which looks as though I will not be able to use a puller on the P bracket. I am reluctant to use any force for fear of damaging the P bracket. Is there any easy way of removing the old bearing other than by sawing it in half with a hack saw?

Bilgediver

Visit site
I will shortly be atempting to replace the cutless bearing on my Beneteau 260. The bearing is rubber and has a lip at one end which looks as though I will not be able to use a puller on the P bracket. I am reluctant to use any force for fear of damaging the P bracket. Is there any easy way of removing the old bearing other than by sawing it in half with a hack saw?

One saw cut should be enough otherwise make a puller using tube and threaded rod and washers/disks.

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
If you don't want to use a puller in future you can allways fit a composite bearing rather than rubber made as a clearance fit in the carrier, bedded on epoxy. This allows a dry run assembly to check the P bracket is aligned and also makes removal easier as the epoxy softens with some heat. For any one who believes bearings need to be a press fit this is the method used and approved for Lloyds vessels.

Miker

Visit site
Job done. Easier than I thought. A clamp on the shaft at the rear and a sharp tap moved the shaft backwards out of the clamp, A hacksaw cut through the lip of the cutless bearing freed it for removal.

One further question. Every year on relaunching, I've burped the Volvo shaft seal. This has taken some doing as the rubber is not easily squeezed out of shape.On fitting the new seal, I noticed that there is a breathing tube from the shaft tunnel just to te rear of the shaft seal. The tube goes up through the boat to the diesel filler tube just below the cap. It sems to me that this would vent the air from the shaft seal on launching and avoid the need to burp it. I would welcome confirmation that my assumption is correct.