Replacing bearings in a B&G masthead wind unit

Heckler

Visit site
Has anyone done this! I mean take the bearing carrier off and push the bearings out and replace with ones from a motor factor?
I have just obtained a spare from a forumite (thanks Tony) and thinking of refurbing one. I phone B&G up, £34 plus VAT for the plastic cups!! and £79 plus VAT for the bearing cartridge!! I said really! She said "Do you realise that the whole unit is £490?
I shut up at that point!
Stu

emsworthy

Visit site
Stu,

Having faced exactly that situation last year, and armed with a background in precision engineering (albeit several years ago!) I set about a similar task. Assuming you are referring to the lower bearing of the MHU, ie the wind cups, I can tell you IMHO the whole thing is impossible to dissassemble. The bearing is "sealed for life" with a self lubricating sponge seal top and bottom and very low friction. I eventually cut mine both sides using a Fein Multimaster to see how it worked as I couldn't withdraw the bearing any other way!

Even if you were able to get it apart (having now bought a genuine replacement from B&G) I can't think of any automotive bearing that would rotate so freely and be the right size. I agree at £79+ not exactly a bargain but still cheaper than a new MHU!

Happy to be corrected though.

Good luck.

Tim

Heckler

Visit site
Stu,

Having faced exactly that situation last year, and armed with a background in precision engineering (albeit several years ago!) I set about a similar task. Assuming you are referring to the lower bearing of the MHU, ie the wind cups, I can tell you IMHO the whole thing is impossible to dissassemble. The bearing is "sealed for life" with a self lubricating sponge seal top and bottom and very low friction. I eventually cut mine both sides using a Fein Multimaster to see how it worked as I couldn't withdraw the bearing any other way!

Even if you were able to get it apart (having now bought a genuine replacement from B&G) I can't think of any automotive bearing that would rotate so freely and be the right size. I agree at £79+ not exactly a bargain but still cheaper than a new MHU!

Happy to be corrected though.

Good luck.

Tim
Tim
thanks for that, exactly what I was after, will get the s/h one up the mast to fix the connection probs and then set about refurbing ( with new parts) the old one.
Stu

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I confess I had mine replaced too. Living in Holland at the time I couldn't obtain replacement bearings and couldn't see easily how to get the old ones out.

The cups on mine were broken when the mast was being lifted off. At first I thought it 100% the fault of the yard, but when I inspected the unit I found the cups to be completely brittle, broke at the slightest touch. I bought a spare then, (in addition to the replacement) around 12 years ago, but so far unused.

I'm fairly sure that the replacement cost then of the complete arm was far more, so maybe £490 is a bargain???

emsworthy

Visit site
I confess I had mine replaced too. Living in Holland at the time I couldn't obtain replacement bearings and couldn't see easily how to get the old ones out.

The cups on mine were broken when the mast was being lifted off. At first I thought it 100% the fault of the yard, but when I inspected the unit I found the cups to be completely brittle, broke at the slightest touch. I bought a spare then, (in addition to the replacement) around 12 years ago, but so far unused.

I'm fairly sure that the replacement cost then of the complete arm was far more, so maybe £490 is a bargain???

I think you're right Vyv, I was quoted £600 for a new one.:eek: The main reason I thought £80 was a cheap option. Having seen what the elements do to this piece of expensive plastic, I intend to take it off the masthead at every opportunity and store it in a cotton wool lined box!!:D

Skylark

Visit site
It's always interesting to read your threads, Stu; however, my only worry is that it's often a sign of things to come for me a year down the road! My 361 has B&G instruments, too :(

She seems to have wintered well. She'll be put back in just after Easter and we're still hoping to make the regatta in June.

So far, the only issue I've found is that the antenna mounted wind arrow has gone awol. £32 for a piece of injection moulded plastic from the sponsor of said rally. Ouch to that.

David

Heckler

Visit site
It's always interesting to read your threads, Stu; however, my only worry is that it's often a sign of things to come for me a year down the road! My 361 has B&G instruments, too :(

She seems to have wintered well. She'll be put back in just after Easter and we're still hoping to make the regatta in June.

So far, the only issue I've found is that the antenna mounted wind arrow has gone awol. £32 for a piece of injection moulded plastic from the sponsor of said rally. Ouch to that.

David
Vtronix, I rang them up when I needed a cable end connector, they were very good and sent me one free of charge.
Looking forward to meeting you in June, should be a good weekend.
Stu

sailorman

Visit site
Has anyone done this! I mean take the bearing carrier off and push the bearings out and replace with ones from a motor factor?
I have just obtained a spare from a forumite (thanks Tony) and thinking of refurbing one. I phone B&G up, £34 plus VAT for the plastic cups!! and £79 plus VAT for the bearing cartridge!! I said really! She said "Do you realise that the whole unit is £490?
I shut up at that point!
Stu

i have a Mk 4 spar + 2 refurbished transducers for sale.
the spar its self is really good condition but needs a new plug

Barron-Robinson

Visit site
Done it!!! Bandg 283 stripped down - now to source 2 new bearing cartridges from tinternet!A3D42E94-E2BB-4396-9674-BD2EC3C06BDC.jpeg

Attachments

• 5126C1BC-C6B5-4156-96A5-2D27E0845612.jpeg
    5126C1BC-C6B5-4156-96A5-2D27E0845612.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

lustyd

Visit site
I’m curious, whether buying originals or others, is there some test procedure to determine whether they spin freely enough to make speed accurate? Presumably any more or less free spinning would affect the wind speed reading or at least responsiveness?

davidej

Visit site
I’ve done my 496 twice - over a period of 20 years.

Provided you can unscrew the cassette from the stem, it is easy peasy. Lots of online guides. If it breaks , you have to use epoxy and your ingenuity.

Make sure you buy SS bearing races.

imaginz

Visit site
I’ve done my 496 twice - over a period of 20 years.

Provided you can unscrew the cassette from the stem, it is easy peasy. Lots of online guides. If it breaks , you have to use epoxy and your ingenuity.

Make sure you buy SS bearing races.

I believe the bearings for the 496 / 283 are SFR2-5ZZ

1/16 allen key for spindle
Great thanks for the tips (gregcope and davidj)