Replacement Oil filters

Canboria

Visit site
Hi all

Does anyone know of a good equivalent oil filter for the Yanmar 10 GM engine, other than the expensive own make. also do we have to use marine badged oil.

WayneS

Visit site
Don't know what yours look like but ours is similar to a car. So, took the old one down to Halfords and started opening boxes till I found a matching one. Engine still runs so I assume that it is OK.

Wayne

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Derek,

Hi thanks to HLB info posted previously, try www.fleetguard.com/en/catalog/index.jhtml
You will require the part number of your current filter.
As for oil no you don't require manufactures oil, this is manufactured usually by an oil company in any case, you should be paying between £10 - £12 a gallon. I use 10W/40 in my volvo 2002 Halfords should be able to sort you out.
I change my oil at the end of the season which I recommend at it leaves the engine in fresh oil during the winter lay-up.
All the best.
Trevor

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
If your Yanmar has the same requirements as mine, the oil to be used is to the API Service Classification CD. This is a fairly lowly level by today's standards of turbo-charged high performance truck engines, which are up to somewhere around CG or CH by now. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the most expensive or the higher classification will be the best - it won't.

You will find that oils to CD can be bought quite cheaply at motor factors, Halfords, etc.

numenius

Visit site
In the past, I've just taken the part numbers from the existing filter (or better still, last time, I just took the old filter itself after removing it & cleaning it up a bit) down to my local car accesory shop and they've gone through their equivalency book and found the right one for me - I find the small local shops far better (and much much cheaper) than the chains like Halfords. On each engine I've had, there has always been an automotive equivalent available.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/boaty1965/index.htm

G

Yes. I have a Yanmar 30 which is using the same oil filter as the yours. I've got mine from Halfords, It took me about half an hour to find the filter with the correct thread. I can not remember the make of the car, however, it was a current model. It has been working for two years with that oil filter. I did the same for a diesel external filter.

Canboria

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies, boat comes out tomorrow at 8.30am (Chatham Maritime Marina), its then off to the car spares with old oil filter in hand for replacement.

Plum

Visit site
Re: This is the part number you want

Oil filters for Yanmars are:- Crossland 672 = Mazda 323 = Coopers Z819 = Fleetguard LF3462 available from any car spares shop.

As for oil, regular car engine oil is OK, but, just to be safe, do what I did and e-mail Texaco and give them the grade of oil specified in the Yanmar handbook and ask them for (1) the equivalent grade available from a car spares shop/garage (2) the "brand" name of that oil for your country (some oil companies market the same oil in different coutries under different names. When I did this Texaco said to use "Texaco supper-duper....something" oil which I could not find in the shops. When I want back to them they had assumed I was in the USA so they gave me the UK name, and then added that I could also buy the Ford brand oil which was the same stuff)