Replacement LCD Hour meter - Yanmar/Volvo VDO

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Seriously, not necessary, just a gentle twist and pull
Thanks, I already realised that. My comment was about what I'd thought about doing in previous years to protect the spindle when I wasn't certain if twisting would cause damage. It will be just a gentle twist in future to get access and replace the LCD (assuming I ever see my boat again :D).

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
You may have already done this, but check the instrument lights first, they illuminate (back light) the LCD, via two light guides.
If the instrument lights are out you won't see anything on the LCD, but the LCD may still be working.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
You may have already done this, but check the instrument lights first, they illuminate (back light) the LCD, via two light guides.
If the instrument lights are out you won't see anything on the LCD, but the LCD may still be working.
The LCD on mine is transflective and works even without a backlight. Both small red bulbs went on my tachometer and it was still readable in daylight and at night when using a torch.

Justin Barber

Visit site
Thank you for replying! I used two tea spoons to lever it off. Actually no issue at all.

Also when you remove the old LCD, because it’s glued on strongly, it’s best to separate the clear plastic case from the mother board which gives more freedom to work. Don’t forget to release the ribbon clamp first.

Finally someone suggested a hair dryer to soften the glue - great idea!

When refitting the needle, power up the instruments first to calibrate on zero.

So pleased to have the engine hours back!

jwilson

Visit site
Early on in this thread I was dubious, this year I bought a new LCD and fitted it, following video instructions fom AK Speedo. Easy and worked.