replacement engine help

billskip

Visit site
A friend in dublin just called and he is looking to buy a jaguar (26?) however he knows the engine is shot and wants to replace it .

I said I will ask the guys on here as to which make of engine they would recomend,
so can you help please?

anyone in the dublin area (port marnoc) able to help will be apreciated.

Many thanks

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The one that fits is the simple answer.

I don't believe that there's much to choose between any of the modern marine diesels so buy on whether it fits and is access is possible to all the important bits for service, and then if there's still a choice on price.

You can choose from Yanmar, Lombardini, Nanni, Beta, Vetus, (even Volvo) and with haggling the prices of some of them will all be very comparable.

Some people will swear that Beta are best - but its the same engine as Nanni! Some people will say never buy a Volvo - and I thought the same once - until we had our current Volvo engine which is very good with reasonably priced spares.

bendyone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Some people will swear that Beta are best - but its the same engine as Nanni! Some people will say never buy a Volvo - and I thought the same once - until we had our current Volvo engine which is very good with reasonably priced spares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had Volvo but did find spare expensive, also a yanmar but againe some of the non routine parts were expensive. I have just fitted a Nanni in place of the yanmar being an industral engine parts are cheaper.

Birdseye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
- until we had our current Volvo engine which is very good with reasonably priced spares.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be joking! Or to be a lottery winner! Reasonable price and V**lvo spares in the same sentence.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Head gasket for a 2003 £70 !
Engine mount for a 2003 £100 *
Engine mount stud for a 2003 £31 *

* = no new nuts / bolts. They are extra /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Birdseye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Easiest thing, if it's possible, would be to replace like for like.

Otherwise, he might end up redoing fuel lines, exhaust runs, prop shaft, engine beds, controls and cables, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having done the engine replacement job - Ken is absolutely right. The aggro of having to deal with different mounts, different levels, different exhaust side etc is greater than anything that might be gained by swapping makes. Notwithstanding my shock at Volvo spares prices, I'd even replace Volvo with Volvo rather than change makes.

capt_courageous

Visit site
Hi John
We replaced our Volvo with a Beta. At the time I looked at the new Volvo equivalent. Lo and behold it was a Lister/Japanese unit. As you say there appers to be little to chose between the mainstream makers.

Visit site
Having just done this (replaced Volvo with Beta) - I'd agree withe jeanne - ended up going with them as they would build mounts to fit exsisting engine bed - which made the whole job far easier. Also fine about swapping alternative exhaust fittings back and forwards until I found the best solution.

Also Beta seem happy with self installation - just want you to run a set of simple tests and report back whne you commission it - not all the others took the same approach ..

AndrewB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Easiest thing, if it's possible, would be to replace like for like.

[/ QUOTE ]Good thinking, but I seem to remember that many Jaguars were originally fitted with a WaterMota Sea Wolf petrol engine, which definitely should be replaced with diesel.

john_morris_uk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
- until we had our current Volvo engine which is very good with reasonably priced spares.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be joking! Or to be a lottery winner! Reasonable price and V**lvo spares in the same sentence.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Head gasket for a 2003 £70 !
Engine mount for a 2003 £100 *
Engine mount stud for a 2003 £31 *

* = no new nuts / bolts. They are extra /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]If you read the forums, you will find that I am consistently trying to put a balanced view about Volvo across. I have no interest in the subject except that it seems to be fashionable to complain about their prices. In fact I agree with you that the price of spares for the 2000 series is very expensive, but our 2040 pistons and gaskets etc were in line with mass produced car spares prices and I can't complain.

Valves were only a few pounds each.
The whole gasket set for a complete rebuild was about £100
Pistons were £30 or so from memory.

I tried to source them from Perkins (the base engine) but they were the same price.

I speak as I find and can't complain about the prices for our current Volvo engine.

And sadly, I am not a lottery winner... probably because I very rarely buy a ticket.

Birdseye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

And sadly, I am not a lottery winner... probably because I very rarely buy a ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I!

Apologies if my post comes over as a bit bumptious! Didnt mean to be rude.

What annoys me isnt the relationship of Volvo prices with those of other makers. I cant really comment on that, having previously had only Yanmar engines. Instead my comments are based on a good knowledge aquired after years in the steel and engineering industries of the likely manufacturing costs involved in the simple steel components I bought.

To put it another way, Barclaycards interest charges arent any more acceptable just because Natwest charges are similarly extortionate.

john_morris_uk

No problem. I think that part of the problem is that the yachting market isn't really that big compared to other mass produced markets, and manufacturers don't always get the economies of scale that the building/white goods/motor industry can benefit from.

Actually if you have ANY niche market equipment, the price of spares and support is eye watering.

I had a friend once in the printing trade and the price of spares and supprt for his offest press made marine diesels look cheap.

mflynn1971

Visit site
I replaced a bukh with a beta in dublin. bought direct and fitted myself. no major probs. There are two guys supplying nanni and beta in dublin and they could probably arrange fitting if your friend doesnt want to do it himself.

Mike

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
all i can say is that at 26 ft you'll probably find a yanmar 1GM10 big enough. I shopped around and that was the cheapest I could get and I've never regretted it. It's not missed a beat in 6 years. But I do agree with the comments about engine mountings - but maybe you're existing ones aren't too far out. I put the engine in myself and had problems with the bearers - but that was probably self inflicted by poor measurement!

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
ever heard of keyparts they do replacement parts at a fraction of the volvo price.

[/ QUOTE ]They do supply parts at a discount off list, but the parts are still expensive.

For example a fuel lift pump from Keypart for an MD7A was around three time the price of a fuel pump from a Massey Ferguson dealer for a Perkins 4.212. Keypart were giving around 25% discount, the MF price was probably not discounted at all since they had to order the part in for me.