Removing toilet scale?

Trundlebug

Visit site
The easiest solution above all else is to just replace the pipework when it gets scaled up.
As you have to remove it to mechanically bash it anyway, save yourself a dirty job and just throw out the old one and replace it!
For the sake of a few quid it's worth it

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The easiest solution above all else is to just replace the pipework when it gets scaled up.
As you have to remove it to mechanically bash it anyway, save yourself a dirty job and just throw out the old one and replace it!
For the sake of a few quid it's worth it
If only it was the easiest I would do it every year. You would not believe how difficult it can be to feed 2 metres of hose out and replace with new. It's a couple of hours hard work in saloon temperatures in the mid 30s Celsius.

capnsensible

Visit site
During the first five years or so of living aboard with a Lavac, I would have to take off to clean or replace the outlet pipe mebbe once a year.

Since discovering Hydrochloric acid Cleaner by Casa Kiriko - Kiriko and its brothers in Spain, I havent had to do that once in the last 15 years. And of course no tissue down the head. Simple and effective.

On our high usage school yachts with other types of pump, the same regime worked too.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I now get the basics of getting rig of Lime Scale.
I always put about 2L of fresh water down the toilets before I leave the boat and fill them with antifreeze in winter, there's a standing instruction to put plenty of sea water down the toilet after use, and that's probably why the lime scale isn't too bad.
Getting the hoses out would be difficult, they disappear into lockers, hidden behind panels, which are hard to remove, and then go down to the bilge under the holding tank before they get to the seacock and skin fitting. It's not something I want to do before the boat goes back into the water at the end of March (I'm running out of time). Perhaps next winter.
I've ordered some Kilrock Big K Multi-Purpose Descaler, and plan to use it in a diluted form and see what happens.