Removing Af with a Bosch PSE 180 scraper

BruceK

Visit site
The 40mm is no longer made. Looks like I've purchased the very last 3 of the 60mm variant from Bosch. :disgust: Where will we go from here.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The 40mm is no longer made. Looks like I've purchased the very last 3 of the 60mm variant from Bosch. :disgust: Where will we go from here.

Mine came as a set in a wooden box. I think it was the 60mm version I used, blunted slightly and reversed of course as that makes it easier to use without digging in. I had not thought about a spare but would have bought one years ago if I'd thought about it.

Flexible scraper (3rd one in OPs link) is pretty useless so I'll be stuck if I ever lose the 60mm one as that's the only other wide one I have.

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
That was my first and intuitive choice. They work but it's hard going and not very effective. Even after loosening with paint stripper. I have a scarsten scraper that works better but it's also a killer. Why AF is so resistant to stripper is baffling. The stuff I'm using will strip a car panel in under 5 min but here will not penetrate the AF Base coat.

Poignard

Visit site
I bought a very large flat file from a junk shop and got a blacksmith to bend the end over about 90 degrees, let down the temper, and then sharpen it. It's very good for shifting thick paint and easy to resharpen with a fine file.

BruceK

Visit site
Let us know if the retailer comes back to you with stock. I ordered 5 units. The retailer didnt have stock nor Bosch UK. I got the last in EU. I asked if more will be made and the answer was dependant on back order demand. The 180E went EOS a while back. I imagine there comes a point where support and spares just aren't economically viable anymore.

I'd be delighted if more are made. I just spent quite a bit on purchasing the tool - a Skill Master reciprocal scraper. The tool is quality but their blades are inferior to those that I do have from Bosch

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

These look very similar to the scraper I have (the useless one) and are described as scrapers. The one to use is a proper wood chisel. Thanks very much anyway.

I found something similar on Amazon and blade on the right looks very similar to the correct tool. The one next to it (2nd in from right) looks exactly like the scraper blade. As I've said, the scraper is useless for removing antifoul but the reversed chisel goes through brittle stuff very quickly. I think OP said these aren't as good as the original Bosch ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skil-2610398564-Accessory-Scrapers-7710

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Thanks. All online resellers do list them. Whether they have them in stock is quite another. Most redirect to Bosch UK for overnight and handling fee. If Bosch UK doesn't have them then you will simply get a reseller refund or substitute according to their terms and conditions.

sunquest

Visit site
Did mine earlier this year with the Bosch 180 and besides rounding the corners the angle of attack is important and we also filed the edge regularly to maintain sharpness. On and above the waterline the AF was extra hard and found the Bahco 665 worked best shaving it off in thin layers.