Remote control urgently wanted

Cliveshep

Visit site
Probably put this in the wrong place so if so - sorry!

I need a single or twin lever side mounted remote control urgently that accepts standard cables.

Any condition at all as I can repair it and repaint it if it's manky, in fact the older the cheaper the better.

Anyone got anything or seen anything for sale in a boat yard somewhere - there's nothing on Fleabay unless you've got £100's to throw away - and I haven't.

I've got a single lever but it doesn't seem to throw the gear in both directions, only one way.

scottie

Visit site
You said you have a control that does not do the job! That was whas I suggested you showed us

For mercury outboards I suspect you will require a specific box to take the mercury cables best try an outboard shop
Most single lever controls are for 33c cables

Remember the Cables move 3" that is devided for the f n r stroke

Cliveshep

Visit site
Understand. I have the correct cables, plus converters for the cables to fit into the Morse type twin lever side mounted box. It's the single lever box that I have that doesn't seem to work the gears back/forwards.

Have you seen the price of a NEW box? Outrageous!

I'll take it properly to pieces later and see if has the capability although it doesn't look like it at the moment. The gear side moves forward continuously, then stops whilst the throttle keeps on going. Pulling the lever backwards and everything goes backwards, whereas the throttle normally goes forwards to rev up this one does not. Also it has no gear release facility to give throttle only for starting so I suspect that whatever it came off is some weird engine. It came with the boat, the engine did not.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Thanks to everyone

Thanks you for responding, I've agreed to buy one from a member on here, at my sort of "down in the gutter" price range as well so I'm well pleased.

Thank you one and all. All PM's answered.

SHUG

Visit site
The usual reason that second-hand Morse controls are for sale is because they are......well to put it bluntly.......shagged!!!!!

Cliveshep

Visit site
I thought I'd solved my problem with a kind offer from a member, until he sent me a pic and I realised I couldn't fit his.

My fault as I should have stated that I have no side panelling to stick a control behind and that it has to be a surface mounted unit.

So, I'm still on the hunt for a s/h single or twin lever control, surface mounted, that accepts the Mercury type cables. These locate not with a groove round the outer and a clip screwed down over the groove, but with a sort of barrel on the end of the cable that fits into a round hole on the casing of the remote control and is retained by a clip screwed over it.

Apart from a flexible water tank (if anyone has a smallish one of those), this is all that stands between being able to use the boat with my recently acquired old Mercury outboard and having it stuck on it's trailer because I cannot operate the engine. The Ocean went last year as "unemployment relief" although I managed to get a job again later so we are starting at the bottom again.

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
Mercontrol Available

Clive,

I have an old Mercontrol single lever control that I took off a Dell Quay Dory some years ago. It was originally fitted with a Mercury outboard so it should be suitable for you.

You are welcome to have it if you can collect it from Weybridge. I know that you used to keep your Ocean near here as you came to see my Princess 32 when you were considering buying one yourself.

Send me a message if your are interested.

David.