Refitting of aluminium fuel tank.

waynes world

Visit site
So at the stage if refitting the aluminium fuel tank. Wondering if there is a product that can be applied to the external tank surface to give protection.
I ask as the tank at the minute feels as if it has a kind of grease type film on it.
Once it's fitted it ain't coming out again in a hurry so its a do it now job.

Done a pressure test and all good. and will be checking the inside with a borescope. so just want to do wat i can to the external area if i can.

20220509_163130.jpg

Cheers

Captain Faffer :)

Plum

Visit site
So at the stage if refitting the aluminium fuel tank. Wondering if there is a product that can be applied to the external tank surface to give protection.
I ask as the tank at the minute feels as if it has a kind of grease type film on it.
Once it's fitted it ain't coming out again in a hurry so its a do it now job.

Done a pressure test and all good. and will be checking the inside with a borescope. so just want to do wat i can to the external area if i can.

Cheers

Captain Faffer :)
It depends on what grade of aluminium/aloy the tank is made from. My uncoated aluminium tank is 24 years old and has minimal oxidization on the outside. If your tank is also of a ripe age (and it looks good in your photo) then I don't see the need to coat it with anything

waynes world

Visit site
It depends on what grade of aluminium/aloy the tank is made from. My uncoated aluminium tank is 24 years old and has minimal oxidization on the outside. If your tank is also of a ripe age (and it looks good in your photo) then I don't see the need to coat it with anything
the chap i bought the boat from a couple year back said his dad had a new tank made, being this one, and that was around 10 years before i bought it. It does look good but for the plywood pads for it to sit on it which i will be replacing.
Just want to make sure i have done all i can as its a pig of a job getting this deck out. Just glad its easy access to the fuel sender.

sarabande

Visit site
I used a cheap woven polypropylene carpet to act both as protection against the aluminium rubbing against a hard spot with engine vibration, and to minimise condensation on the tank surface.
Plain carpet, no bonded rubber.

Scubadoo

Visit site
I had the same issue with a aluminium water tank last year. After repairing a leak, after some research I decided to apply 3 coats of hammerite Ultima silver smooth paint. It is a relatively new paint and goes on smoothly and creates a tough barrier. A year later no issues and really pleased with it.
Hammerite Ultima Smooth

waynes world

Visit site
So glad i decided to fit new tank supports and as i did i found a hole and a dodgy area under the supports. i was going to leave the tank as is as it looks good all over but now i am going to try and strip the coating back. acetone will not do it to easy so ill have to fins another way.
Il be taking the tank to work to get plated up next week.

tank.jpg

tankk.jpg

tankkk.jpg