Reefing

D

Deleted member 36384

Learn to use your thumb to dispatch them. Quicker and less messy. Thumb in the (fish's) mouth, forefinger behind the head, quick jerk and job done.

Ye, okay, whatever floats your boat, but how do you kill the fish?

Tranona

Visit site
Ye, okay, whatever floats your boat, but how do you kill the fish?

Just like I described. Saves going to the mast to get the winch handle (as per Parsifal) leaving the poor fish to thrash around in the cockpit leaving scales and slime everywhere. Quick jerk and drop it in the bucket to be dealt with later.

onenyala

Visit site
I have a sliding goose neck and all lines at the mast. Normal reefing procedure is: Starboard tack, Tiller pilot on, sail as close to the wind as possible without stalling, ease the main, check the boat is sailing ok under jib, up to the mast, ease the kicker, check there is no slack in the topping lift, ease the main down haul, lift the boom up and secure, ease the main halyard, hook on the reef cringle ( with spectacles), re-tension the main halyard, haul in the reefing pennant, re-tension the main down haul, re-tension the kicker, check the tension on the topping lift, back to the cockpit. Probably takes a couple or three minutes.
What I would like to know is how to reef when hove to ( when say the tiller pilot has gone walk about). Every time I have tried it there is always too much friction on the main luff to pull the reef down.

JimC

Visit site
What I would like to know is how to reef when hove to ( when say the tiller pilot has gone walk about). Every time I have tried it there is always too much friction on the main luff to pull the reef down.

I guess the friction arises because the boom is too far out and the pull of the sail is putting too much side load on the mast groove or track. This will be because your boat heaves-to pointing well off the wind, which is commonplace with modern designs. You might try playing with the rudder angle or headsail sheeting/area to make her point more into the wind. You could also try tricing up the topping lift a bit more so the sail is really loose.

Tranona

Visit site
I think BlowingOldBoots was perhaps asking what happens to the fish while you are having a quick jerk:D

Never occurred to me - but then I lead a sheltered life. Now I realise his name indicates something other than I thought it might!

Tranona

Visit site
JimC;3784351 This will be because your boat heaves-to pointing well off the wind said:
If the OPs profile is correct, his boat would definitely not fall into that category.

JimC

Visit site
If the OPs profile is correct, his boat would definitely not fall into that category.

I don't know, she has a cut-away forefoot with a fin keel and a separate far-aft rudder, see here. She certainly isn't the typical long-keeler type with deep forefoot and sternpost which is often praised for its heaving-to abilities.

onenyala

Visit site
I don't know, she has a cut-away forefoot with a fin keel and a separate far-aft rudder, see here. She certainly isn't the typical long-keeler type with deep forefoot and sternpost which is often praised for its heaving-to abilities.

I will try tricing up the boom or playing with the rudder next time out. Thanks for your suggestions

BelleSerene

Visit site
Possibly.
You need to keep the sail away from the spreaders etc.

I find it OK putting in a reef downwind with the main sliding down the spreader. I'd prefer that to heading into the wind to do it, which increases the apparent windspeed. I'd be wary of shaking the reef out and grinding the halyard back up with the sail against the spreader though.

Last edited:

Babylon

Visit site
I find it OK putting in a reef downwind with the main sliding down the spreader. I'd prefer that to heading into the wind to do it, which increases the apparent windspeed. I'd be wary of shaking the reef out and grinding the halyard back up with the sail against the spreader though.

But of course if you're shaking out a reef, then that's because the wind has moderated, so heading slightly to windward to do this shouldn't be a problem.

It only takes a few minutes to just come onto a reach with the mainsheet fully out and the topping lift de-powering (almost scandalising) the sail in order to pull in a reef.

That's why when I re-rig, I'm going to lead the topping lift back to the cockpit - so that I can de-power the sail and let off the halyard from there, and only then go for'd to pull the reefing cringle over the rams-horn and tension the reefing line from below the gooseneck.

A1Sailor

Visit site
That's why when I re-rig, I'm going to lead the topping lift back to the cockpit - so that I can de-power the sail and let off the halyard from there, and only then go for'd to pull the reefing cringle over the rams-horn and tension the reefing line from below the gooseneck.

How convenient is it having to go forward to the mast to put the reefing cringle over a rams-horn, with the halyard led back to the cockpit? Might a better option not be to have "luff lines" led back to the cockpit also?

Babylon

Visit site
How convenient is it having to go forward to the mast to put the reefing cringle over a rams-horn, with the halyard led back to the cockpit? Might a better option not be to have "luff lines" led back to the cockpit also?

Good point. But I'm not a fan of small cockpits overcrowded with rope, and there's also the issue of multiple points of friction on the lead-back, and potential for in-boom failure with this system.

Its not the end of the world to have to go forward to the mast... until I have the time and money to sort it all out properly for my old age. :eek:

awol

Visit site
What is missing is one of the lurking RYA instructors to tell us the proper way to reef. I presume, never having had the advantage of formal training, that reefing is a technique that is taught on practical training courses and that approved procedures have been determined for the various configurations of halyards, reefing pennants, etc.. I, when singlehanded, manage to do it (usually) without any drama by a meander to the mast where the pennants and halyard are sited, providing I remember to ease the kicker and main sheet first - sometimes I even attach a lifeline before wandering out the cockpit.

One tip I have learned is on a boat with 3 reef points but only 2 reefing pennants is to reeve a light line through the 3rd reefing clew before hoisting the sail - it makes the transfer of the 1st reefing pennant so much easier.